It destroys everything

Old 09-15-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It destroys everything

Used to have a nice life or so I thought. Husband always a heavy drinker and then in the last few years it has gotten worse. Ten years ago it was alot of beer and then it changed over to Scotch (quicker). Spent some money on a house renovation 9 years ago and our expenses grew but not so much that we couldn't afford it. But his addictions grew. And he spending $$ on lottery scratch off tickets (the big ones - $10 several times a week, could be more). He went to rehab 2 years ago for 30 days and did the program for a year then fell off the wagon. While he was in rehab I had to file for Chapter 13 because our finances were a mess. Over the last year he has been on and off the program. I do go to Alanon. The last several months he has barely been holding it together. He drives for a living and I am surprised that he hasn't had a dui yet. Although he says he doesn't drink during the day I have hard time believing this. I have a BAC tester at home and on the weekends I won't let him drive if I test him (when he lets me) and he registers anything. I said I won't let him kill a person going out to get their milk for their kids.

Our kids are 17 and 21 and have lived their lives with alcohol in the background. I feel awful about it. We have decided to split. I need peace in my life. We have been married for 25 years and I am mad at myself for hanging in for so long, thinking it would get better. I am calling the bankruptcy attorney tomorrow to start the house selling first. Has anyone else been through this?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, I have not been through it. But it sounds like you have made a thoughtful, life changing decision. Good luck. Prayers your way.