Notices

I need support

Old 09-15-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need support

Hi,
I am new to the site & need advice on how to start sobriety. Just had a huge confrontation with my daughter. She is so mad at me for drinking. My son is too. I feel like such a loser right now. I need to regain their trust & I want to stop drinking.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done for coming here - I think most of us will tell you that detox can be dangerous if you've been drinking for a long time - not to scare you but speaking to a doctor should be your first thing to do before stopping.

Confrontation is never nice especially if its people your close to. I hope your ok. These relationships can be mended but you need to get free from alcohol first.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey picwis ,

Sobriety is something you can have if you want it enough , or that's how it's been for me

Nice to have you here , Welcome to SR

there are several "programs" and some of us do it without even that , have a look around , post away if you have questions , join in the monthly class thread maybe as people there will be at a similar stage as yourself to share motivation , whatever you're comfortable with

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have come to a great place for support. If you really want to stop drinking, you need to put together a plan. First...withdrawal can be dangerous and uncomfortable. It's hard to admit that you have a problem, but believe me when I tell you that Doctors hear it every day. You can get medication to make you more comfortable, plus admitting that you are an alcoholic is a positive step forward (we all do it, all the time, and its no big deal). If you are in any danger of serious withdrawal symptoms, you might need to be hospitalized (probably not, but you MUST find out). If you have the means to enter a 30 day rehab, then do it. It will help.

Next, in addition to posting on SR all the time and reading others posts, you should look for some recovery groups where you live...AA, Celebrate Recovery, SMART...it's not as confusing as it sounds. Don't be afraid, recovery groups are usually full of kind people who have been through what you are going through, and are very accepting. Start filling your bookshelf with recovery literature (there is a forum here filled with great titles). Doing these things will help you fill your "toolbox", a place to go when you need extra help.

This is a very condensed version of things to do now that you have decided to change your life for the better, and I promise that if you achieve your goal of sobriety, it will be all kinds of better. Welcome to SR!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks to all that replied to my post.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Picwis, there is a thread for the Class of September 2013 where a lot of people starting te journey can support each other. Or check out the Year and Under thread for people of all ages and durations of sobriety. There is also a women in recovery thread, where you can talk to other mums. Good luck my friend
Old 09-15-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've made a wise decision to quit drinking. We can help you get and stay sober if you let us. It's simple but not easy, but it's worth the effort. Stay with us and get sober. You won't regret it.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us and that you are ready to start on your recovery journey.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Picwis, , and by all means do it for your kids. Rootin for ya.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Welcome, stick around and become happy, joyous, and free.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome aboad, picwis!!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you picwis! It's great to have you here with us.

I'd been drinking my whole life when I found SR. I was in terrible shape - and like you, my family were all disgusted with me. I was humiliated and beaten. When I joined here some of the best advice I got was to go easy and give myself a break. Nothing is gained when we are filled with shame and regret. Sure, be sorry you let alcohol rule your life - but try to be positive as you look forward to the freedom you're going to have. You can do it!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR!