Notices

Alcohol in movies, tv and elsewhere

Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol in movies, tv and elsewhere

I just realized what role alcohol play in our daily entertainment. Just about every tv show, movie or book and even some music deals with or mentions alcohol. We supposedly can't watch any sports event without drinking alcohol, we can't enjoy a vacation without having to deal with the booze cart on the plane. I find it real hard to resist the temptation when I'm shown all this. I know that's life and you have to deal with it but I need an effective way of thinking it through so I won't cave in. The latest draw was an article in one of my favorite outdoor magazines. At the end of a very enjoyable article the people in the story ended up at a microbrewery. I guess it's no different than anything else in life, but still it's hard. Needed to vent thanks folks.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand, I was just complaining about songs on the radio in another thread. It does stop bothering you after a while, hang in there!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey tnman,
It is tough, I think we have to learn to disassociate drink from our lives, acknowledge its there, then not allow the thoughts to engage and linger, lets face it alcohol isn't going anywhere, its our choice if we choose to think about and partake of it its part of our journey taking back control from drink ....
L x
Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Hey tnman,
It is tough, I think we have to learn to disassociate drink from our lives, acknowledge its there, then not allow the thoughts to engage and linger, lets face it alcohol isn't going anywhere, its our choice if we choose to think about and partake of it its part of our journey taking back control from drink ....
L x
I know, just needed to get it off my chest, I guess I've been somewhat of a "dry drunk" this weekend. Feeling sorry for myself that I can't drink. It'll pass, thanks for reading.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Believe me, we all have those moments x
Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I first quit it was everywhere. Nowadays though it isn't even on my radar. I sometimes see the bottles of gin behind the counter and wince, but the booze isle doesn't phase me, and I have come to accept all the mentions in popular culture. Sometimes it still bugs me though because I feel like it's subliminal advertising, but it rarely triggers me. I hope some day people will feel less need to go on about booze all the time.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

tnman, I know what you mean. Dee said something in the August thread awhile back when we were talking about this. The movies or TV shows don't always portray the bad stuff, and when those ACTORS finish drinking their apple juice or iced tea or whatever other colored drink was in those glasses, they walk away and go back to just a normal day.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yesterday I walked into a liquor store to buy one of the 99cent large sodas they sell and saw a huge array of mini liquor bottles (every kind you can think of) on sale for 99cents each as well!!! They were all displayed at the front counter...I had to stop and look at them all but I did not buy!

When you mention movies with alcohol...one thing that has helped me is watching addiction movies that help me to see how ugly drinking really can be...I started a thread about this a while ago...some good ones are:

Days of Wine and Roses
A Day at the Beach
Flight
Smashed

I finished all those movies feeling relieved that I was not drinking anymore!!!

The List goes on...
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

I know what you mean, those poor me moments sure make you notice things. For whatever reason this is the summer my household decided to 'like' country pop, now how can you go to Mexico that much spend all your cash and not show up here ?!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I watched some TV last night for the first time in two months in just one hour I saw about five ads for booze. Skip TV in the early months.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Totally agree, wouldn't it be refreshing if more characters just asked for non alcoholic drinks! How are our kids meant to realise the dangers of alcohol when everywhere you turn gorgeous people are making it look so cool!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're right, it's everywhere. Just imagine if heroin or meth was so available. For sale in every grocery store, romanticized in the media (well, it sort of is). How crazy would that be, but in my eyes alcohol is just as bad. It certainly kills more people than drugs. In fact, I'm inserting a link to an article in Daily Tech that has the data that proves just that. But it's never going to be outlawed, at least in my lifetime, so I just learned to deal with it.

DailyTech - Study: Alcohol is Deadliest Drug, More Dangerous Than Heroin
Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Recently a coworker was complaining about the unrealistic amounts of alcohol people drink in TV and movies. As he said, when you watch TV it looks as if people drink alcohol every day of their lives. Others I worked with concurred.

Most people do not drink with every sporting event or whenever they are on a plane or after work. But in media it looks like everyone does.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It really is amazing how much alcohol use is glorified in the entertainment space. Whenever I see it I'm reminded of why I quit. Seeing alcohol is appealing at first and then I start thinking through the chain of events that follows that first drink. That moment when my brain short circuits and I lose control. NOT WORTH IT!