Notices

people don't take no, for an answer!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

people don't take no, for an answer!

Hey all,

I spent friday & saturday night out in town with friends had a great time stuck to sparkly water and af beers but got offered a few alcoholic drinks which i refused, but wow, people can be so pushy "just have 1" that kind of thing. Then someone not in our group offered to buy me a drink, so i said "yes thanks becks blue" he brought back a bottle of white wine and 2 glasses!

What is it with people not taking no for an anwer!? Really felt I was being tested!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

lorelei
good for you to not accepting. that happened to me few weeks ago at a bbq. but i saw it as a good test to my soberity.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you sounded uncertain or maybe people thought you would drink if you were sat a bar or got confused ifyou were drinking low alco beer. Becks blue does contain alcohol- not sure if you know this.

I know I found it difficult in early sobriety.I think it can depend on how you say no. Practice saying it so that it is not up for discussion When I say no I mean it.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job I ended up with sparkly water then!

No I definitely sounded determined, I've learned the hard way from previous sober experience.

Thanks rob

X
Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do these people know why you quit Lorelei? To be honest my friends don't so I can't blame them for being confused, I was the heaviest drinker among them, and I have found that it has taken them longer to adapt to my sobriety than me. But that is not surprising seeing as they didn't have advanced warning. I am sure given time they will get used to it. If it still happens you could try being honest with them, and if it still happens after that I'd consider finding new friends... x
Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, sometimes I drink, sometimes I do not, as far as my friends know. I have not said, I have a problem, I do not drink. More like, "I am trying to lose weight, or it has not been agreeing with me, cutting back."

But for those who simply do not understand the struggle for sobriety, they think they are trying to have fun and be nice. Ugh. Annoying.

Good job saying no!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Good job I ended up with sparkly water then!

No I definitely sounded determined, I've learned the hard way from previous sober experience.

Thanks rob

X
good stuff. Just when you said you were drinking AF beers-do check as many do contain alcohol,even just 0.5%
Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. "Oh, just have one". Some people don't realize the extent of what that means.

I've decided that the next time that this happens I will politely decline as usual. Based on the persistence of that person I plan to say "Do you know that they say that people who are uncomfortable with someone refusing a drink typically have problems with alcohol?" That ought to shut them up quickly.

Another good one would be to ask them "Does it make you uncomfortable that I'm not drinking?" Watch their face then.

I'm glad that you recognized it for what it was and overcame!