Notices

Advice for the blah days

Old 09-14-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for the blah days

I know this is a silly question but I want to be prepared for when it happens.
What do you guys do on the "blah, meh, I don't want to get out of bed" days?

I know walking and exercising is one of the best things to do, but I live in Canada...we only have a few more weeks left of nice weather...and going for a walk in the snow would require a 45 minute preparation and 19 layers of clothing...
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Days like that I do one of two things: I either get out of the house and do something - anything - or go visit a friend, or I stay in bed and sleep. (I'm older and love to nap)

My other thing is watching movies on my computer. I do it a lot and it gets me thru the boring times.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

patricia - honestly, some of those blah days, I just get really lazy. However, I've been in recovery for over 6 years, I quit smoking cigarettes about a month ago and went through a major funk.

I do work 7 days/week, varying hours. Some days? I just slept. I didn't have the energy to do more. Most of the time, I spent HOURS on SR The one addiction I refuse to give up.

I'm in the south, though part of my family is in MN or upper MI so I get the cold/snow/wearing layers.

My best ES&H is that some days, we just need to chill out. If it goes on too long (more than a couple days), we need to find something that gets our interest. I have a volunteer job I love; some people have hobbies, some take classes. TBH, it took me a while to remember what the heck I used to like to do before becoming the addict!!

Exercise is always a good thing, but I'm pretty slack at it even knowing how much better it makes me feel. Maybe play some good music that makes you want to dance around the house, put a smile on your face? Try cooking something you've never tried?

I admit..when the blahs first hit me, I was lost. I didn't remember the person I was before addiction. It took me reading here (still lurking...sigh), reading Ann's posts where she had pictures she had taken. OMG, I used to like taking pictures!!!

I didn't have a camera, was FAR from her skills or others here who are really good, but I mentioned my desire, got a cheap point-and-shoot camera and it was awesome.

Keep reading and posting. I'd totally forgotten I used to love taking pictures of my life. I forgot I loved to read. It took me hearing what others did that reminded me, or at least led me to think outside of the box to get out of the blahs.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you need to find a winter indoor hobby.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes a blah day isn't such a bad thing. I think of it as charging my batteries. Now that I've been sober for a while I've started to pick up two old hobbies and I try to focus my time on those. Often times I feel too blah to do them but if I just get myself rolling I can usually get into it. I work most days and I almost need a case of dynamite to get out of bed. But I've got to keep moving to keep the circus on the road.

But on those "I don't want to get out of bed days" when I can, I don't get out of bed and I'm ok with that.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much guys! Some great ideas here

I used to love taking pictures too, and reading. Also drawing and painting. And I used to do all those things without a drink...I think it's time to go back to my old hobbies
Old 09-14-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After I quit drinking I felt lost about what to do with my time. So I started writing out what I was going to do for the day in my planner. I focus on eating 3 healthy meals a day plus snacks, getting some exercise (even 10 minutes of stretching/yoga and a few pushups if nothing else, which might work well for you when you don't want to go out in the cold. You also might consider some free weights or some other sort of exercise you can do at home.), time on SR and to kind of check in with myself on how I'm doing, chores, work, reading. I play drums so that goes on my schedule, too.

Then if I'm feeling 'blah', I try to start in on one of the things listed in my planner for the day and try to focus on doing things.