Notices

Over and over again

Old 09-14-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over and over again

Hi. I have been an alcoholic since since I was 15. I am now 40. I have tried and tried and tried and failed to stop and I am now giving up. Does anybody have anything to tell me that will help?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I can say, I feel your pain. Deeply. I pray you and I both get the long lasting help we need to have good lives.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR neo101, This website has really helped with my recovery. Lots of support and advice to be found here. Glad you are here.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Do not give up, there is a method that will work for you.

I think you are right in trying something different from what has not worked.

How have you done it the other times you have tried.

I hope you will stay – it can be done.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Jillis. I hope you do it. I feel that I'm out of ideas and options. I am hanging on to my marriage by a thread but keep repeating the same behaviours. Why?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been through the medical system which was useful. I have tried cold turkey which obviously failed. I am fit and run all the time but still any chance I get I hit the bottle.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you tried AA or NA Neo? Or perhaps counseling? Anyone can quit if they truly want to, and that includes you.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear you! I actually left my husband at the worst of it. Somehow he and I reunited (neither of us drinking now) but now all of my feelings, problems & issues are glaring me in the face. Therapy is helping but I know I need "real" recovery. I am envious of people that can easily "turn it over" when I fight fight fight tooth and nail, I want to stop fighting but I can't become fearless ... I'm scared to death. Alcohol became everything to me. My sex appeal, my humor, my motivation, my personality ... Well at least I thought ... Maybe an illusion? Either way. I'm bored and lost with out it.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have never tried AA but have been in councilling. I feel like Jillis. I am in a trench. I run and run for mies when I can and that gives me peace but that is no way to "run" a marriage.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are support groups like the AA, I think that can be helpful if you would benefit from face-to-face support. I have not tried that but I am sure there are other people here that would share experience from that.

There are also a section here with more cognitive methods how to control your thinking and cravings etc.

We have a nice thread where you can sign in everyday to remember what you are doing and keep focus.

I have not been sober for long , 43 days I think.

I have done it by a combination of signing in every day, realizing how much harm alcohol has done to me and my loved ones, some thinking technics and physical exercises.

I do not want to waste more time on alcohol – it is not the life I want – it is not what my loved ones deserve.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi neo! Great to have you join us. Maybe talking it over here will help. When I found SR it took me awhile, but I found the courage to quit by reading & posting here. It lessened my anxiety about the whole thing. I had no one in my life to confide in, but people here understood.

I was a lot older than you when I finally stopped. I drank for almost 30 yrs. It was so hard to let go of the idea that it helped me cope. Also hard to admit it was no longer fun or enjoyable - just a terrible habit that was stealing my soul. I hope you'll find a way to let go of it - it's exhausting and only brings us misery. I'm happy you found us.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The singing in each day thread sounds interesting. How do I get on that?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...oin-us-12.html

Deeker finds a song and great pictures for every day.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

BTW great work on your 43 days SoberHawk
Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No half measures

I started at 14 and ended at 52. I tried everything that I could think of to try and nothing seems to work. I had painted myself into such a small corner that AA was the only option.

I started going to meetings and I did you do what people with long-term sobriety told me to do. I am absolutely amazed but it worked. today I lead a life better than I could have dreamed of 3 years ago. give AA shot the only thing you have to lose a lot of pain and suffering
Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome neo, the key is to accept that you cannot drink. I truly believe that.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm amazed by all the nice messages guys. I'm going to bed now (Ireland time) but will check in tomorrow. Day 1? I doubt it but maybe day 0
Old 09-14-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You can succeed in this if you want it badly enough. Take it one day at a time. Don't drink for one day at a time. With time you'll feel better until the sober life is the one for you.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.