Notices

New to SR

Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to SR

Hello all at SR! I have been lurking on the site for a month or so, desperately planning for my new quit day. My spouse and I have been daily drinkers for our entire almost 30 years together. Some might call us “functioning” alcoholics. We manage to go to work, take care of our bills, and support my aging parents. The past few years have been getting a lot worse for us – full of lost weekends, and forgotten evenings. Drinking is all we do anymore. Every activity revolves around it. Sure, we occasionally drag ourselves out of the house for a walk, or even a bike ride, but we always end up at a bar for a couple of drinks. Once those morning or mid-day drinks hit us, it is off to the races and off to get more to fill our evenings. We have quit together many times, a month here, a week there, once even a couple of years. Like others, I always remember the exact moment we had that first drink after quitting. I know where we were, what we were doing and what we drank. It was always a “special’ occasion – a celebration of some sort or a fun trip or vacation. We always convinced ourselves we could have a glass or two of wine. What’s the harm? It is so civilized and, of course, we deserve it. We work hard and it will be different this time, we have proven we can quit. But it never works. Those celebratory drinks at lunch or dinner turn into sharing a bottle of wine that evening. One bottle in the evening turns to two or three – not right away – but in a matter of days.Then it becomes a few beers weekend mornings to relax or fend off the hangovers. Lately, it seems EVERYTHING is about drinking. When to drink -what to drink - how to drink - why we drink - how not to drink - when to quit – or just one more drink… We have been blessed, and very lucky, that we haven’t hurt anyone else with our drinking. We have driven drunk, blacked out, been responsible for children, aging parents, and our pets while drinking. I have had enough and decided to make this day a new “day one” of being sober. I want to feel the freedom of not having to make decisions about my drinking – get the monkey off my back – finally. I’m scared I will fail again, or be angry all the time, and just plain bored. I know it will be hard, but I also know the drinking years are taking its toll, and our aging bodies are breaking down. I want to live the rest of my life in the present, sober, and grateful to God for the wonders of life. I am blessed that my spouse wants to join me in this journey as well. So here is to the first day of the rest of my life. I have been inspired by what I have read in SR and look forward to becoming apart of the community. Though I must tell you, I’m not much of a social media fan, but will try to post on SR occasionally and support others whenever possible.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! It's only my day two, but this is the first place I thought to go in the morning!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome
I'm only 5 days in but already it seems like a brand new world.
Good luck!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome LivingPresent, Congrats on making the decision to quit drinking. Sobriety is so liberating. Glad you are here.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome LivingPresent, great news you decided to quit, loads of help and support here on SR and even if you don't feel like posting I find just reading others stories and posts really helpful.

I am slowly working through some of the older posts and blogs - I find something helpful or encouraging just about everyday.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've made a wise decision to stop drinking. Sober living really rocks!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the welcomes today. It is dinner time on day one and I am planning a nice meal and a movie for the evening. The day felt strange, a bit lost, but feel confident I can make it through the night sober. Won't sleep well, but won't wake up hungover either.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Present, welcome. You came to the right place. It is very freeing to accept that you cannot drink. With longterm sobriety, it's no longer boring and your anger goes away. Very best wishes.