Notices

Hello

Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I just want to humbly say hello. After 25 years, I am finally ready to quit drinking.

The past decade I drank heavily, and it's taken a toll on my body. Last year I was diagnosed with fatty liver and I still kept drinking, telling myself I could always drink one more night and my liver would recover.

Tonight I'm sitting on the sofa, suffering from really bad acid reflux, and a lot of pain in the general area of my liver. But . . . The good news is that I'm sitting here saying to myself, why would you drink that poison when all it does is cause pain. And, I'm sober.

Anyway, I have a GI doc, and I'll see him soon. I've started taking PPIs again this week, and I'm focusing on not drinking, one night at a time.

About a week or so ago, I registered and posted in this very forum. I was drunk and I could never remember the name. At least tonight I am sober, and I'll be back.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jents and welcome! Glad to see you survived last night's storm intact.

You have come to the right place, there are a lot of us who have sat on that same sofa. I'm 48 and saw where I was headed and I didn't like what I saw. The first few days can be rough....have you talked to anyone about withdrawal?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Jents. I think you'll find the encouragement and support here to be very helpful. I felt so much better when I joined - knowing I never had to be alone on my journey.

I drank almost 30 yrs. - long after it stopped being enjoyable I clung to it. I always thought it was helping me cope - but all it did was hold me down and keep me from experiencing life fully. You don't need it. I'm glad you realize that. We're happy you're here.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
w2r

Thanks for joining us in the great fight!!

(for clear minds, happy lives and improving health)

Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jents. You will find an amazing amount of support from the good people here at SR. Like you, I drank non-stop for 25 years. I have never admitted to being an alcoholic to anyone. Except to everyone here. I am only at Day 19, but I am feeling better each day. Congratulations on making the decision to stop drinking. I am glad you are here.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Howdy Jents...good to hear
Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Hi Jents and welcome! Glad to see you survived last night's storm intact.

You have come to the right place, there are a lot of us who have sat on that same sofa. I'm 48 and saw where I was headed and I didn't like what I saw. The first few days can be rough....have you talked to anyone about withdrawal?
Thanks . . . I'm not too worried about withdrawal based on my sporadic previous attempts at sobriety. As an example, I managed to quit for a week last winter, and other than being tired during the day, I had no other symptoms as far as I can tell.

Monday night this week I also managed to skip a night as well (sadly, I have under my belt more than a few other nights where I started sobriety only to drink a day or two later). No withdrawal symptoms other than being tired . . . I guess I have years of rotten sleeping to make up for.

My wife is around too . . . She doesn't drink, and she'll be around to help if necessary.

Thanks for asking though.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jents,

Welcome. Great to hear that your wife is there to help you. You remind me of my father. He got the fatty liver and the pain that came with it (and other health issues related to years of drinking). Save yourself while you can. My father always planned to quit. He only stopped years later when they diagnosed him with liver cancer.

Listen to your body. Value yourself. We can do it.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Jents! Keep us posted on how you're doing!