Notices

So here I am...night one, not quite hour one yet

Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here I am...night one, not quite hour one yet

I normally start drinking when my daughter goes to bed. Tonight that will be in an hour and a half. My husband is already pretty well lit. I haven't told him my plan but I know he will be totally supportive. I know deep down he wants to be free too. He's a much heavier drinker than I am. We have been together 24 years and drank pretty much every single night of those years (except when I was pregnant of course). It's hard to be the one to jump off the train first! I know in a little bit my thighs will start itching. I will be scratching at the tops of my thighs all evening.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! Good for you taking the leap! When are you going to tell your husband? Ok I have to ask, what is with the itchy thighs?

Pam.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you. Please know your decision is one to "wake up" to your life. It is an absolutely amazing and interesting discovery..but it is not without its scary sights. All the best to you. I really hope to keep seeing you around.

(okay..I'm with Raider..gotta ask bout the itchy thighs)
Old 09-13-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome I can!! (you can!)

I always find it interesting and am grateful when someone shares the beginning of their journey. I hope that you find the support and community that I have found here, SR has been an unbelievable help to me! All of our journeys started with the first hour!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL I can...maybe you should change your screen name to "itchy thighs!"
Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He'll just figure it out. He'll notice I'm not drinking and he won't point it out or anything. But....if I break down (I won't), he wouldn't say anything either. As for the thighs. I guess that's my creepy crawly bugs thing maybe? Doesn't your nervous system go nuts because it's used to getting it's dose of drugs at this time of day and get overactive or something like that?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you have any concerns about withdrawal? Alcohol withdrawal can be serious.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icandoallthings View Post
I normally start drinking when my daughter goes to bed. Tonight that will be in an hour and a half. My husband is already pretty well lit. I haven't told him my plan but I know he will be totally supportive. I know deep down he wants to be free too. He's a much heavier drinker than I am. We have been together 24 years and drank pretty much every single night of those years (except when I was pregnant of course). It's hard to be the one to jump off the train first! I know in a little bit my thighs will start itching. I will be scratching at the tops of my thighs all evening.
you will find a lot of support here at SR.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He'll just figure it out. He'll notice I'm not drinking and he won't point it out or anything. But....if I break down (I won't), he wouldn't say anything either. As for the thighs. I guess that's my creepy crawly bugs thing maybe? Doesn't your nervous system go nuts because it's used to getting it's dose of drugs at this time of day and get overactive or something like that?
Welcome!

This is just how my husband is as well. He is on his 4th, I believe. At least. It is showing and gets annoying when I am sober! But I was right there with him until very recently.

I also get itchy and twitchy legs the first several nights when I try to sleep. More when I have been drinking more heavily and stop. I was more moderate in the last bout of drinking, so the itchies were not there, or maybe one or two nights.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmmmmmm. Yes I had/have symptoms; vomiting, diarrhea, sweats, chills, shakes, crying, thirst, salt cravings, chocolate cravings, extreme weight loss, nervousness, irritation, etc. I guess we all have something or another. Hoping it will smooth out. Good luck! Look forward to seeing you!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I will have night sweats. I don't think I'll be able to sleep much. I think I'll keep waking up in a panic because it seems like I forget to breathe or something. Have you ever heard of that? In the night it will feel like I can't get a deep breath. Beyond that though.... I haven't experienced anything more in the past....
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had horrendous anxiety and panic attacks during the first few days. Like others have said, don't hesitate to talk to a doc if you have any concerns. This is serious stuff. And congratulations on your decision!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Icandoallthings, in the past I have had night sweats and some anxiety with quitting. And wakefulness. Just got some good sleep the last 2 nights, after about 2 weeks at this, with one slip.

Do consider if you need medical support to detox.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello ican. This is an amazing decision you've made. I think it'll help you to talk about it here - we all understand like no one else can.

Glad to have you with us! You can definitely do this, and have a new life.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is that what that is? I guess that makes sense. This summer I was a little more honest with my doctor. I told her that I was having fits of rage and that I had "started" drinking a lot at night and that I think I needed something to calm me down. So now I'm on anti-anxiety medication. She also prescribed me an anti-anxiety medication that makes you tired. She said to take one of those if I have trouble sleeping. But I'm absolutely scared to death to take one of those because wonder if I do that stop breathing thing and DON'T wake up. Can you believe it. I pound down about 1 cup (I guess about 9 or 10 oz) of whisky each night between about 8 and 10:30 but I'm scared of a sleeping pill that's not even really a sleeping pill!?!

BTW, starting to scratch now. My calves itch and the backs of my hands are right now.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Welcome!

This is just how my husband is as well. He is on his 4th, I believe. At least. It is showing and gets annoying when I am sober! But I was right there with him until very recently.

I also get itchy and twitchy legs the first several nights when I try to sleep. More when I have been drinking more heavily and stop. I was more moderate in the last bout of drinking, so the itchies were not there, or maybe one or two nights.
Not sure how to do the "quote" thing, so I'm giving this a try.

He worked from home today, so I'm sure he's about 5 hours into it right now. Our daughter will go to bed in 10 minutes and he MIGHT make it another hour before passing out. So at least I only have to watch him drink for an hour or so. What usually goes wrong is I drink with him for that hour after our daughter goes to bed and then I want to stay up and drink more! So I do!! ....well.....did until today.

Why the heck do I have such a hard time giving it up!? I can control volume when I'm in public... I won't drink in front of my daughter because I'm afraid I'll act drunk (so sometimes I would start drinking 1/2 hour before her bed time). I absolutely would NEVER drink and drive. Jeepers!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Why the heck do I have such a hard time giving it up!? I can control volume when I'm in public... I won't drink in front of my daughter because I'm afraid I'll act drunk (so sometimes I would start drinking 1/2 hour before her bed time).
Hi icando! I was this kind of drinker too--very controlled in public but drank every night at home alone. Or, when out with other heavy drinkers that I felt comfortable with, I'd drink a lot and then after they'd gone to bed keep drinking until the wee hours of the morning because I wanted 'just one more'.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Icando - I struggle terribly. I understand. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have had withdrawal now four times - my experience the BEST thing I did my last two detoxes was to MOVE and stay busy. I cleaned, dusted lights, I did laundry, I walked, you name it I did it. Getting my @$$ off the sofa was the hardest thing I did. I sweated like crazy, but moving around was WAAAY better than lying in writhing misery feeling that impending doom of catastrophe about to strike. Only advice I have. If he wants to drink - let him drink - kiss him tell him you love him and you are going to clean and make the house beautiful. I know when I was drinking the worse thing my husband did was tell me "I'm NOT drinking- blah blah blah" No drunk wants to hear how wonderful it is to not be like them, although everyone who is NOT drinking knows better.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think I will have night sweats. I don't think I'll be able to sleep much. I think I'll keep waking up in a panic because it seems like I forget to breathe or something. Have you ever heard of that? In the night it will feel like I can't get a deep breath. Beyond that though.... I haven't experienced anything more in the past....
Is that only when you are not drinking? Does chest pain happen too?