Notices

days off

Old 05-31-2004, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

days off

my days off seem the hardest . need to keep busy . need to keep moving.
run my dogs . go to gym . clean house . try to learn guitar. think about starting new job. rent movie . make dinner . not drink .
Old 05-31-2004, 10:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome rj! yes days off can be scary because all of a sudden theres all this time on our hands. just focus on not drinking and you will rock on!
Old 05-31-2004, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hello! Is this seat taken??

stay busy - stay active. if you don't trust yourself at home - find places of recovery to hang out in. getting involved helped me a ton. got too busy to worry about time to myself - but that's exactly what I needed. don't worry about balance right now - there isn't any. just stay busy - stay sober - and above all - STAY CONNECTED!

oh - and btw: welcome to SR!

pad
Old 06-01-2004, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
knucklehead

rjgroomer, glad to have you here at SR. every day is hard for me after work and my days off. well i am hanging on to me sobriety today. keeping busy is a good choice lots to do. glad to meet you. keep us posted.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

You've got the right idea! Busy, busy, busy....nap.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

rj-

I can sure relate--I struggle with time off--I guess I have felt more comfortable when I am at work because I feel more secure with who I am at my job--is that wierd? I mean, I have been loaded for much of my adult life, and I dont really have any idea who I am deep down. When I am at my job I have this structure that gives me my identity. I know what is expected of me--I feel safe.

On the other hand, when I am on my own,watch out! I know from experience that if I spend to much time on my own in my own head--I am in trouble--I mean my best thinking almost killed me. I am glad I read this cause I get caught up in the day to day turmoil and I forget to use some of the basic tools that I have learned. Work the steps, everyday; stay in touch with people in recovery;develope structure and balance in all aspects of my life; Take time to look around and see the miracles--I need to do this stuff on a daily basis.

Thanks for the reminder
Old 06-01-2004, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

thanks for the good words

thanks !!! i did almost everything i wanted to do today , still need to make dinner and learn to play guitar. most important thing is i did not drink . the gaps are starting , periods of time passing without thinking about getting drunk . i feel like i know what a normal person feels like. enjoying a nice day and not be drunk , then try to pretend to not be too drunk when the my wife gets home "i've only had six beers today i swear" .also started "THE BIG BOOK " today.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hello! Is this seat taken??

rj - good for you! it gets better! and enjoy the book - but also think about a sponsor if you haven't gotten one already, and a list of numbers of friends in recovery (keep it in your wallet - trust me).

and of course - stay busy and keep us posted!

pad
Old 06-01-2004, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi rjgroomer good to see you posting.

Hey you keep busy, real busy, do what you have to do, it's worth it, you're doing so good. Keep at it rj...we're all doing the best we can too, and the busier we are the better.

Two thumbs up for THE BIG BOOK.

Hugs my gratitude friend.
Love Denise