Notices

Drinking away emotions

Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking away emotions

So yesterday I went out with a good friend who is also one of my drinking buddies. We went to see a movie. Yesterday also marked 5 years since my sister died. All day I felt good and strong. I met my friend who asked me how I was doing as he knew I would be feeling down. I started to talk and then...I had a drink...followed by more and more. Went into work today but obviously was not feeling great. Yesterday I contemplated going home after work and in hindsight that's exactly what I should have done. I wasn't ready to test myself in that way.

This weekend is about regrouping and continuing to check in with SR daily.

Yesterday I learnt that I drink to not feel sad and I'm sure I'll learn lots more about myself on this journey I've chosen to take. I managed 8 days and hope to manage many more.

Thanks for being here SR Forum and good luck to everyone x
Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Caravagio, you can manage a lifetime without drinking. I have now mangaed 3 years with a drink after drinking for 42 years. Please don't let it take you that long. Rootin for ya.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's understandable that the anniversary of your sister's death was hard for you to get through. I'm glad you're back and sober. I think that planning ahead, using lots of caution really helps in early recovery.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

carr... i thank you for this post.

it's almost a major anniversary for my mother's death and my brother's murder... never been through either without drinking (except when pregnant or nursing), and i've been thinking ahead of how to deal.

i'm sure you'll find your way on the drinking... but i just wanted to say i'm sad for you on the pain of losing your sister. (it's strange how i've been on the receiving end of that sentiment, and i still don't know the right thing to say to others in the same boat.)

i'm thinking of you, and sending thoughts of peace and love...
Old 09-13-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get sober for good this time.