Notices

Alcohol did more to my body than I thought

Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol did more to my body than I thought

About 3-4 months ago I had a zit on my leg which went away but left a dark spot. This was when I was still drinking heavily. I did keep a healthy diet btw.

Anyway, the dark spot stayed and I thought it'd be permanent. Nothing to worry about. I also had a dark line on my leg of about half an inch long. This one had been there for longer. I probably scratched my leg in something without noticing.

Every once in a while I would check them and they remained the same. The last time I checked was shortly before I quit.

Then I quit and now I'm 30 days sober. Yesterday I remembered the spot and checked. It has gotten a lot lighter and part of it is gone! It's actually healing!

Then I looked for the line. Nowhere to be found. Healed already.

Even though I was eating healthy when I was drinking, my body wasn't functioning well enough to even clear up simple spots on the skin. I hate to think about what would have happened if I had to recover from something serious...

My guess is that all my body's resources went into cleaning out the 2-3 bottles of wine a night, so there was little healing energy left for other things.

I can notice it in other things too. My skin looks a lot better. My eyesight is clearer. I already tested 20/10 during my heavy drinking days and I know it's even sharper now.

And it looks like I started to grow younger.

And I'm still in pretty heavy recovery, feeling pretty sick lately. I can only look forward to being fully restored!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been noticing physical improvements in myself even in the second week. It really is amazing what putting a poison in your body day after day can do. I'm glad you are noticing so many improvements over the past month. Well done!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's great when you notice positive changes huh? It makes it worth it - someone said to me the other day that my whole complexion is changing - I've got the colour back in my face and my eyes are bright and no rings round my eyes. I hadn't really noticed myself but after it being brought to my attention it's true I think we just don't care at all when we are drunk. I know I let myself go but at the start of the year (had a rough year) but at the start I had some sober time - more sober than drunk time up until the end of April so I'd lost a few stone - just generally looked after myself during that time and then everything changed at the end of April - I've moved country - I've got back in a relationship that I don't even know If i want to be in it but for my kids sake - so everything's just all changed so much but I had to get sober - I have to see things 100% as they are.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry I got carried away there lol I don't even know what point I was trying to make... There probably was one but I started getting reflective so it went out the window!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lol 13, doesn't matter. It was a good post anyway.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got compliments on my complexion and eyes after only 2 weeks sober! Now 50 days sober, the daily improvements to my body are amazing!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're on your way to good health!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

James, I am so glad to hear that you're seeing physical healing already. It's so wonderful to watch our minds and bodies stop being frustrated as they seek health and balance. I had similar experiences in early recovery, mostly around my skin suddenly healing like it hadn't in years. Of course, I also got my very first grey hairs that first year, but I earned those.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

According to the book Under the Influence, alcohol interferes with the bodies ability to absorb nutrients. So even if a drinker is eating properly, his or her body may not be taking in all the nutrients the body needs. Once the alcohol is removed, the body heals and is once again able to absorb nutrients from food properly.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is easy to spot a heavy drinker.....even at work they can dress perfect but you can see it in their face. I must have been plain stupid to think I could hide it. It really is terrifying to understand the untold damage that alcohol abuse causes to our bodies both mentally and physically.

So good health!!!!!! Well done.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's not just the physical changes either. My boss (who knows of my struggle and has been amazingly supportive) told me today that the old me she used to know is coming back. That was so good to hear Just another benefit of putting down that bottle!