Notices

12 days sober and 6 pounds heavier

Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 days sober and 6 pounds heavier

Today is my 12th day sober and I'm so thankful for the new clear head and no more sweating all the time. It has, however, come with one side effect from my returned appetite and that is I have gained 6 pounds. It's worth it for the sobriety, though! It may be time to start changing my diet.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Zelda, congratulations on 12 days. Great job.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Zelda....all I can say is thank the Lord for yoga pants. Since I put down the bottle I have a new best friend...Spanx. No worries, it will come off when it is meant to!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Zelda when I quit I gained 7 pound the first week. I didn't eat much when I drank I liked to "bank" the calories for wine. Now 5 months sober I'm at my ideal weight although I do eat really healthy. Getting into nutrition while getting sober actually will help both your sobriety and waistline. I use myfitnesspal (it's an ap) and it is AWESOME!

Great job and don't worry too much about weight gain
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Sober 40 days and haven't stepped on the scale. My pants still fit so I'm cool with that.

I haven't had the OMG I LOST 30 lbs moment yet, but I know darn well that if there is a gain on that scale, I will flip the F out. For now, I'm more concerned with the blood pressure numbers coming down. That and my blood tests all being normal.

If some things gotta give, it's going to have to be my waistband for now.

Be well.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's the ice cream!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with AO....I know when I hit bottom. I had to go and buy clothing about 3 sizes larger than normal because I was going to rehab in Arizona and it was so hot there.

I hit bottom in Kohl's dressing room buying clothes to go to rehab that looked like something the Golden Girls would wear.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've lost nine pounds in 19 days! I ate loads of crisps (chips), peanuts and crap when I drank. Also trying to eat fruit instead of sugary foods to compensate. I could do with losing another 12 or so as it happens.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was down 4 since March when I went to the Dr yesterday. I drank heavily from then til a little over 2 weeks ago so I've probably lost more than that really.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My goal for next week is to get on a better diet. My sugar cravings seem to be subsiding little by little so I think substituting fruit and perhaps some frozen yogurt from time to time instead of the ice cream will help. Other than that, I have been eating pretty healthy. It's just all the sugary snacks over the past week that have got me!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

<<putting yoga pants on shopping list...scribble scribble>> :help
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've mentioned this before (and I'm not the best at sticking to it!) but eating sweet things like chocolate, ice cream and the like has a tendency to set up alcohol cravings I have read. I'm trying to stick to fruit!

..trouble is fruit tends to mean - er..the loo needs to be fairly near...

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
My goal for next week is to get on a better diet. My sugar cravings seem to be subsiding little by little so I think substituting fruit and perhaps some frozen yogurt from time to time instead of the ice cream will help. Other than that, I have been eating pretty healthy. It's just all the sugary snacks over the past week that have got me!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I hit bottom in Kohl's dressing room buying clothes to go to rehab that looked like something the Golden Girls would wear.[/QUOTE]

Jaynie -

Dying.

I always kinda liked the flow-y and ethereal garments Bea Arthur wore. It gave her a Goddess sorta vibe.

But you weren't talking that style were you ?

Please tell me you weren't rocking the MEE MAW MEE MAW.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I literally had to buy floral muumuus.....I was alone in the dressing room going "don't ever forget this..". In retrospect I think it was a form of self-flagellation to punctuate the end of my drinking career.

I don't know what I envisioned rehab would be like. I figured we would all be down on our luck, sitting around singing "Kumbaya" around a campfire so it didn't matter what I wore.

Wrong. First of all I got there at the end of June. I was told it wasn't the best time to go because a lot of college kids go every summer. Whaaaaaat?? I was like the Bea Arthur den mother. Here I was rocking my elastic waistbands while a girl sat next to me at lunch talking about how she planned ahead so that her hair extensions wouldn't fall out during her stay.....

She was rockin' in her Miu Miu while I was sweating in my muumuu.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

jaynie04, haha! It's not funny yet at the same time it is. Your delivery of the tale is really what made it.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

More of you to LOVE!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Isn't it amazing how much of our lives become entangled with alcohol...I realized recently I have a whole second dialogue going on in my head at all times, it's like everything runs through the alkie filter. Now that I am aware of it I realize how pervasive it is....I was watching some show called "Amish Mafia" the other night and I was fantasizing about moving to Pennsylvania where I could drive around in a buggy and not be tempted by alcohol.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So true jaynie. I have been cooking dinner for myself every night I have been sober and I hardly ever used to cook dinner before when I was drunk. I almost forgot I could cook!