Notices

this is my VERY first time admitting to anyone

Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this is my VERY first time admitting to anyone

I just signed up 5 minutes ago. I've never used a site like this before. I've tried to quit drinking many times. Never successful more than 3 or 4 days. My husband is an alcoholic too. So....I've got my work cut out for me. I'm hoping this site will give me accountability and support. I'm hoping for new friends with experience and advice.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm day 11 here (amazing for me). I give a lot of credit to this site. Read as much as you can here. Lots of knowledge and support. Looking forward to seeing your posts.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi I can, welcome. You came to the right place. Meeting in the chatroom at 9pmest tonite. See ya there.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!! This is a wonderful and supportive site. Good for you for taking this first step! I suggest looking through the threads and reading waht seems relevant to you--newcomers is a great one. There's also a lot of info and support for spouses of alcoholics which I'm sure you will find very useful. Stay with us!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much pinkdog! 9pm in what timezone?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you found us!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lurking on this site for 6 weeks gave me the resolve to end 34 years of alcohol addiction, and encouragement from people on this site got me through the most difficult first week. Today is day 19 and I am not going back to drinking ever, I'm having way too much fun now that I am abstaining from alcohol.
Join us!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome. This is a great place to stay accountable to yourself with the support of everyone here x
Old 09-13-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The one and only place that I have been able to admit to my alcoholism (so far), has been here, at SR. It has kept me sober for 18 days now - longer than any other time in my adult life. The support I have received here has been incredible. You will find, ican, that the people at SR truly understand what you are going through, and their advice is invaluable. Stay close. Post often. And stay strong. I am glad you are here.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome ican! I think you've made a wise descion coming here. I truly don't think I would have stayed sober the last 5+months without this community!

Welcome aboard
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Ican, as others have said, this is a fabulous site, i've slipped many times unfortunately, but it's the guilt I feel and the friends that i've made on this site that keep bringing me back. Stick around, you've made the right choice.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
w2r

I read posts on this site for a few weeks before I tried giving up alcohol.
I'm getting there, but I cant see doing it by myself without the support here!

So you came to the right place!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so grateful for the outpouring of support! Thanks so much everyone <3 So, besides showing up here tonight, and having my chrochet to do. Should I pick anything else up on my way home? A particular pop or candy or something? I hear people crave sweets??
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! Browse and read. We're here for you
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

It's a relief to get it off your chest isn't it? Now to get on with the real work. Which you can do here surrounded by people who absolutely understand where you're at.

Best of luck.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icandoallthings View Post
I am so grateful for the outpouring of support! Thanks so much everyone <3 So, besides showing up here tonight, and having my chrochet to do. Should I pick anything else up on my way home? A particular pop or candy or something? I hear people crave sweets??
Is this your first night without alcohol? Do you think you'll have any withdrawal? If you've quit before, you'll know what is in store, but if not, read up and be prepared. It could be next to nothing, it could be rough, but in any case, knowing what to expect will help lots.

Congratulations on this momentous decision! Your life will get better and better.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome aboard ican, guess what, YOU CAN! looking forward to gtg to know you x
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It will be my first night in several months. I've been successful here & there for a few days but keep going back. I have had some withdrawals in the past attempts. Mostly sweating, irritability, shakiness, not knowing how to relax. I think I remember starteling awake several times throughout the night too. It's like my body forgets to breathe. Have you ever heard of that? Besides the starteling awake, I'm not really afraid of the withdrawals. I've taken a few online quizzes and they indicate I would probably have moderate symptoms.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2. The longest I've gone in 10 or so years without alcohol is 13 days. That has been quite a while. Seems like day 4/5 is always the toughest for headaches, moodiness. I just keep telling myself it is nothing compared to a hangover. I'm doing what I can to change up my evening routine and stay busy, busy, busy..
Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

great idea chrisben, eat some good food and plenty of water too, noone ever wakes up wishing they'd had a drink the night before. keep strong x