Notices

Bored

Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored

Boredom and stress are probably my biggest triggers, so I need to find something to do during the day. The problem is I rarely leave the house as I have a near 3 year old who has social communication difficulties (most likely Autism but no official diagnosis yet) and taking her anywhere usually results in major stress and its just easier to stay home, but I get so bored. My daughter is still non verbal at the moment and playing with her can also become tiresome as she is also very repetitive and without the communication it's hard to find new things to play/do. She often quite happily entertains herself so I spend a lot of time doing nothing.

I read a lot, but their is only so many hours a day I can read before I've had enough of that. I also used to play online games but I find these tend to bore me lately.

So I need a hobby or something cause the boredom is just about driving me crazy but no idea what I can do either with my daughter or while she is entertaining herself.

She has started pre school for two mornings, so hopefully I will have some me time soon but at the moment the school are not coping to well and I have been getting a phone call after about an hour after dropping her off and I have to go back and help them with her.

So anyway, my question really, does anybody have any ideas of what I can do to keep boredom at bay, anybody else in a similar position?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Use the chat function !

LSC taught me how to. Its cool (though I should be working ) !!!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi welcome to SR I can relate to being stuck at home a lot and I have wee kids too although not with your wee girls difficulties.

I really struggled with boredom too and apart from reading - playing online games and household stuff I don't know what to suggest. Are you from the uk?

Anyway all I can do at this moment is say from one mum to another if u want a chat or a moan then my inbox is open and hands up being a stay at home parent is one of the toughest jobs going lol we don't get enough credit!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok you are in the uk do you have sure start in England? What about your health visitor - has she not been of any use with help on how to not be so isolated with your wee girl?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I am in the UK. My doctors surgery closed down so they transfered us to a different practice and I have yet to meet the new health visitor. However, we do have a Portage worker (kinda similiar to a HV but for children with special needs) that comes to the house and helps us with varies things, mainly different stratagies at dealing with things and she does play therapy etc, but its usually just for an hour once a week, we haven't seen her for ages though because of the summer holidays as she only works term times, but her visits start again next week, so I'll see if she has any advice then.

Like you say 13unluckyforsom, there is only so much you can do in the house all day, so I very much doubt someone will come up with anything, but I thought I'd give it a try lol.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi there, have you thought about organising coffee morning at your home, for other mums n tots, maybe your little girl will feel better in her home with people visiting rather than going out.
what about an online course? something that stimulates your mind whilst you're still at home, training to do something, theres work you can do from home, are you into writing? maybe start a journal of your journey so far, about your addiction, your little one?

Hopefully you can find something to keep you busy I know boredom for me is a trigger too x
Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know it's a tough situation sorry not to be of much help but I've struggled with the same isolation and can only sympathise with you.

Hopefully you will get a diagnosis soon for your wee girl and maybe once you have that it will open up more avenues for you to be more socially active with her.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Room1 View Post
...so I very much doubt someone will come up with anything, but I thought I'd give it a try lol.
We can only suggest what we would do. Rarely works, as one of the symptoms of boredom is that any idea to relieve it sounds boring too.

Are you bored? Or dissatisfied with sobriety? Boredom can be relieved with an activity, hobby, or interest. Dissatisfaction with your sobriety and thinking about drinking can only be relieved with recovery.

Find a way to work your plan for recovery into your day.