Notices

Days of Wine and Roses

Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Days of Wine and Roses

Just watched this movie--and I HIGHLY recommend it to all people--ESPECIALLY those of you who are early in recovery.

This movie, which was made in 1962, is so profound that once you watch it, you will think twice before you pick up a drink again. It is--HANDS DOWN--the best movie I have ever seen that portrayed alcoholism!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Just watched this movie--and I HIGHLY recommend it to all people--ESPECIALLY those of you who are early in recovery.

This movie, which was made in 1962, is so profound that once you watch it, you will think twice before you pick up a drink again. It is--HANDS DOWN--the best movie I have ever seen that portrayed alcoholism!

If you like Days of Wine and Roses, another oldie-but-goodie is Lost Weekend with Ray Milland.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My mom really wanted me to see the film so I rented in from Itunes just last week! Yes, I was amazed that is was so astute. So very sad. How she says "the world just looks dirty and ugly" without the booze ....really spoke to me in how we just don't see the right when we are still in the bottle.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well said, Nuu! The part I really want newcomers to see is when after they stopped drinking for a couple months, they thought they could "moderate" and just have one tiny drink.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Endgame: That movie is in my "queue" on Netflix. Looking forward to watching it.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Endgame: That movie is in my "queue" on Netflix. Looking forward to watching it.
I last saw it about eighteen months ago. Haven't seen Days of Wine and Roses in more than twenty five years or so. I'm also partial to Ray Milland, who won Best Actor for Lost Weekend.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Sounds good. I haven't seen either Days of Wine and Roses or Lost Weekend but I will try to check them both out.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've seen it a few times. The first time I saw it was in the late 1960's when it was shown on American network television. I remember the greenhouse scene when Jack Lemon's character went berserk looking for the bottle he hid, but couldn't find. I was just a child and I didn't quite understand alcoholism. I distinctly remember my parents explaining alcoholism. Interestingly it was directed by Blake Edwards who is better known for his comedies.

It's about time I watch it again.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought the 'excesses' in the Days of Wine and Roses seemed a bit over the top - the ranting and screaming at the height of their addiction. But then perhaps I got of lightly compared to some. I just wallowed in my misery.

Still a great movie for all that!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Loved it. Definitely a classic. I also really liked "When a Man Loves a Woman" because it focused so much on what happens after a person get sober.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think back in the day, people had a much tougher time detoxing--they were strapped down in an asylum and they didn't get the drugs they do nowadays to ease the pain of withdrawal.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

Days of Wine and Roses is shown in the UK at the AA conventions.Always brings tears to my eyes.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I don't want to blow the ending for anyone who hasn't seen it, but the ending of "Days of Wine and Roses" is dented on my brain forever. It's been 10 years since I saw it but it was a great movie.

I watched "When a Man Loves a Women" recently. That was totally long and depressing! True, riveting...hard to watch.

And "Flight" with Denzel. OMG!! I watched that one twice!

Alcoholism makes great movies I guess. Who knew?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Going to bump this because I love this film. I always watched it when I was in one of my previous halfhearted attempts of sobriety.

Kirsten really reminds me of myself. I also grew up in a family where my parents were not heavy drinkers, my sister is basically teetotal, I was never interested in drinking. Like a sneaky spider it crept up on me and I was always in denial. Then BOOM, I was an alcoholic.

I had my own 'greenhouse' where I tore apart my parent's utility room (we do our laundery in that room) looking for the garage key where they keep the booze. They had locked it and hidden the key and I was convinced it was in that room.

Clothes and washing powder were everywhere, I completely trashed it looking for that bloody key. I never found it.

And Lillian, yes that ending is so powerful. Again no spoilers, but it beautifully and simply shows how the addiction is always with us.

Bumping for any newcomers, I highly recommend this film, it shows the highs of drinking...then the horrible lows.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A sad and beautiful film. Another one that's not quite as beautiful but very good is Leaving Las Vegas.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My sponsor SUGGESTED I watch the film. Powerful. Enabling, codies, the ugly-sad-lonely hell we put ourselves into. I even used to pace the commercials on TV, just in case a booze ad came up- thus giving my ex fuel to shame me for my drinking. I spent so much time and effort pretending to be normal- to hide such dysfunction.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post . Ive watched this and its helpful .

Free on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZO4FcHa73o
Old 11-13-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been recommending this film to a lot of people. The scene in the greenhouse was one of the most disturbing things I have seen, and I watch a lot of messed up films. It was just so raw, destructive and it hit close to home. It's a really powerful and deep scene if you truly think about it, too... all of that beauty ruined for what? That is the insanity of it. I watched that film in my second month of sobriety and I thought it was really cool how they actually showed the AA meeting in the film. Please watch this film if you have not - the acting is phenomenal.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
I have been recommending this film to a lot of people. The scene in the greenhouse was one of the most disturbing things I have seen, and I watch a lot of messed up films. It was just so raw, destructive and it hit close to home. It's a really powerful and deep scene if you truly think about it, too... all of that beauty ruined for what? That is the insanity of it. I watched that film in my second month of sobriety and I thought it was really cool how they actually showed the AA meeting in the film. Please watch this film if you have not - the acting is phenomenal.
The greenhouse is so painfully real. And yes the acting is incredible. I did a lot of a Speech and Drama when I was younger and Drama in university and the two hardest things to act is drunkeness and laughter.

Jack and Lee absolutely nailed both of these. Lee Remick was robbed of that Oscar.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Another good one is Smashed with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul.