Notices

First weekend

Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First weekend

I'm currently in Day 4 and it has not been as bad as I thought it would be.
My first big test will be this coming weekend. 2 days spent socializing and watching sports. I keep telling myself that there is nothing I normally do that requires alcohol and I can still have a (non alcoholic) drink in my hand most of the time.
I'm bracing myself for this challenge. I can do it!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi, yes you can do it! get plenty of af drinks, and have some good food, keep yourself full and enjoy an af hangover free weekend x
Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Day 4 ,

Early on i decided to put my sobriety top of the agenda, watching sports is fine , but i guess it depends in what enviroment . Certainly if it was my usual habbit to drink to excess somewhere i'd be wary of going untill i'd built my confidence and skill at being sober .

I'd certainly make sure no one was depending on me driving them somewhere or hanging around so i'd have a get out from the situation and could leave if it got to much for me .

Godd luck, m
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah u have to be number one and especially at this early stage if its something you usually do with friends together in a house or at a bar then I honestly wouldn't 'test' yourself so early in.

I'm not doubting you - I mean if you were to tell me 100 percent that your never drinking again then I'm nobody to question that. That's your resolve. But if there's any doubt of this being too much too soon for you - I'd change your plans.

You have the rest if your life to meet with friends watch sports socially but for your sake and your reasons be selfish! Put you first!

I hope you have a great weekend and well done on your achievement
Old 09-12-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I found sports a pretty big trigger, so....heads up on that! Thought I could handle it and eventually became enraged at beer company commercials and crying at automotive tire ads that save babies on rainy days.

Had to eventually turn it off.

But then....realized I could DVR the games and skip the commercials. Much better anyway and no alcohol ads making me feel like I was missing out on something.

Best of luck gruffmusic!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm with 13unlucky on this. It isn't a matter of if you can do the things you normally do without drinking, it's often changing the things you did while you drank. Try holding off the socializing this weekend. Hunker down in the bunker, you and your sports. When you emerge Monday, sober, the world will still be spinning, even without your social participation.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get thru this weekend sober. It's just two days out of the week. You can do this.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody.
I'm going to take the good advice and stay at the house and enjoy my family, grill some great food and enjoy the games.
I REALLY love this site. The support is amazing!
Thank you.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gruffmusic View Post
Thanks everybody.
I'm going to take the good advice and stay at the house and enjoy my family, grill some great food and enjoy the games.
I REALLY love this site. The support is amazing!
Thank you.
Well done I'm sure your family will appreciate spending quality time with you. Sounds like fun to be had! All the best.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jkb

Hey gruffmusic-
As an avid football fan I have to say this last weekend was one of the toughest I have had in the last 6 months. Football came on and my brain screamed "BEER". I had not had cravings like that in a while. So, just be easy on yourself. I personally am not ready to watch my 9ers play when other people are drinking around me. I had to watch them play from home. Oh well....
With that said I have gone to concerts, a wedding, and even once a bar and not had the cravings I had when football came on. Damn associations our brains make but, I still LOVE FOOTBALL.

Jess
Old 09-12-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
OX

I'll have to watch the Seahawks beat the niners from home this Sunday. Last weekend went to a crazy sports bar to watch a few games at once. Surrounded by booze was fine. Surrounded by drunks was just tolerable. Being in a dark bar on a beautiful day felt stupid.

Good luck with all the game watching. Remember to have fun, soda and lime is a lifesaver, and Mondays are hangover free!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by BigShoe View Post
I'll have to watch the Seahawks beat the niners from home this Sunday. Last weekend went to a crazy sports bar to watch a few games at once. Surrounded by booze was fine. Surrounded by drunks was just tolerable. Being in a dark bar on a beautiful day felt stupid.

Good luck with all the game watching. Remember to have fun, soda and lime is a lifesaver, and Mondays are hangover free!
Only time will tell.... I am watching my boy Colin whoop up on some Seahawks...

Sorry completely off topic.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

This weekend I will be watching my San Diego Charges get their as*es handed to them by the Eagles.....BUT

We will be having fun here anyway, eating our sorrows away.

Sobriety is ruining my girlish figure and I'm afraid I might be starting to look like a linebacker myself.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great job on day 4! The weekends can definitely be a challenge but when you get through it, you feel great! Last weekend was my first weekend and waking up on Saturday morning sober was such a wonderful feeling.