Notices

insomnia

Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

insomnia

Hello hello

so here's the deal, this is not my first time falling off the wagon, getting back on then having to deal with INTENSE withdrawals. that being said, it is the first time i've experienced crazy-bad insomnia.

i'm sure this isn't the first thread that has mentioned this and i'm sorry to sound redundant; i'm just looking for some advice or perhaps personal experience because i've had the shakes, anxiety, fatigue, nightmares, seizures, hallucinations in the past but NEVER had a problem falling asleep.

AHHHHH
Old 09-12-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Sleep could be very slow to sort itself out. Daily exercise will help. A regular sleep routine will help. I took valerian capsules early in sobriety. There are OTC medications that can be taken short term. I drink camomile tea before bed every night.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm on trazadone now... but i myself have hit a new low. i have a pain, like i was punched, underneath my right rib. from my research it's my liver. i'm sober now for one day (here we go again...) i'm wondering what it is. i'm going to have bloodwork done but i hope i haven't done reversible damage. does anyone know if my assumption is right? is it my liver?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Only by seeing a doctor would you know if it's your liver. We can't tell over the net.

As far as the insomnia goes, it will get better the longer you're sober.

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like least said only your Dr can tell you that with any authority.

Get the bloodwork done, get yourself checked out - hopefully the news will not be as bad as you fear - mine wasn't

D
Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't see any mention of concern about your liver in your post - more about sleep.

I slept really badly for a few days after I quit - and hardly at all the first two nights. It does seem to be pretty standard during a period of withdrawal. My sleep pattern returned to normal and then actually got much better than when I was drinking pretty quickly.

..and as others have said if you have any actual medical concerns see your doctor.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found Drugged: High on Alcohol to be very interesting about physical symptoms of alcoholism.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel ya. The first three days I just stayed up really late but lately I started taking unisom. Its been helping me sleep but making me dragging the next day. Either that or its just because I started my period. Lol. Been 10 days for me!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LSC1 View Post
Sleep could be very slow to sort itself out. Daily exercise will help. A regular sleep routine will help.
well said, i did the same thing, i started to go to bed same time every night even if i was not tired. i also stated to exercise day such as walking and riding my bike. also a good healthy diet also helped me, no more nachos and pizza.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i wouldn't wish this crap on anyone. i get a few days, a few weeks or a couple months then

BOOM

i feel okay so i think i can go back. same ol' song.
insanity.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by localo View Post
I'm just looking for some advice or perhaps personal experience because i've had the shakes, anxiety, fatigue, nightmares, seizures, hallucinations in the past but NEVER had a problem falling asleep.
These are very serious, life threatening, detox symptoms. Please do not do this at home. Go to a detox clinic or the ER.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same here man havent slept in over 50 hours! Trying to ride it out instead of downing some Tylenol PM hoping it gets back to normal again
Old 09-25-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
These are very serious, life threatening, detox symptoms. Please do not do this at home. Go to a detox clinic or the ER.
no no, i'm saying i've experienced those in the past.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am having the same problem. It is day 9 for me. I have quit drinking in the past , never have I had insomnia so bad. I am hoping it gets better soon. I am just afraid that It will get so bad that I will give in and drink.. I am praying to god that it doesn't happen.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning

Day 10, sleep is slowly getting better. I am starting to feel good. It is great waking up in the morning without a hangover.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you didn't give in Sleepless I couldn't sleep for the first 4 or 5 days and now I can hardly stay awake
Old 09-26-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Last night I used a meditation track, there's loads free on you tube, I think it worked!

I don't sleep for about 72hrs when withdrawing and my regular sleep is pretty naff.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Exhaused

It was extremely hard today not to go buy a bottle. I have had one good sleep in 11 days. I was optimistic having a good night thinking that it going to get better only to have a sleepless night last night. It has been so hard not to give in. I just want to sleep. I had to do so much self talk not to give in. I am currently taking 200 mg of Trazadone and it does nothing. I have been on the meds for 6 years but for the last 1 it was taken with a bottle or two of wine. I have recently started doing a bit of volunteering at the homeless shelters which is helping me greatly because I realize that if I continue to drink I will end up there one day.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

localo: I like the other suggestions in your thread here. Is the Trazodone helping at all? If not, talk with your doc or maybe go to urgentcare for more immediate help, as there are other medications that might work better

Sleepless: same goes to you! I used to be on Trazodone 200mg and it stopped working for me as well. When I talked about this with my doctor, they changed me to Seroquel which has been effective for the last 2 years. Like I said above, there are various medications that can help with sleep, so if one doesn't work, let a doctor know right away. Sleep is so very, very important for our overall well being, and recovery is only hindered by lack of sleep.

Thus, I heavily encourage both of you talk with a doctor as soon as possible about your sleep issues/medication ineffectiveness.

On a side note, on a night where I'm feeling particularly wound up (such as a Friday or Saturday night), I also drink Sleepytime/nighty-night tea and take some over the counter melatonin.

Take care you guys!
Kuroi
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't know how much more I can take. I am exhausted. I spent my day crying me eyes out. I am praying that this insomnia will end. I am trying everything. I exercise daily even when I drank. Meds are not working. I have tried a few different ones. Where the f is my higher power??? I don't want to be a drunk, but I can't function like this much longer.