Notices

when can I expect my skin to clear up?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when can I expect my skin to clear up?

Hey all, I've been a "lurker" here for quite sometime, but figured I'd finally register and post. I'll spare you the details but I'm on day 11 after about a decade of a fifth of vodka a night.

My home detox period and about the first week of recovery were pretty textbook with the accounts I've read here. I'm starting to feel good again, sleep comes more often than not now, and the shakes are gone.

My question is, how long till (if ever) the skin on my nose and cheeks will not be such an angry red? I guess I should note that I'm 32 years old and white lol.
Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Something that has bothered me too. I have read every post on this site going back years and nobody really answers it. Some say "in a month or two". Mine seems to fluctuate. Was slightly better on day 9, horrible on 10 and 11, and now looking better on 12. Still pretty pink though.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I noticed a big difference at 14 days. I had been drinking about 3-4 bottles of wine a week plus cocktails here and there. I have been drinking tons of water.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Day 36 and I'm broken out like a teenager.

I envision my liver cleansing, and that results in a myriad of nonsense.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post

I envision my liver cleansing, and that results in a myriad of nonsense.
funny you say that, around day 4 I had a dull liver ache and broke out really, really bad...I was hoping that was part of me detoxing through my pores. Like I said I'm going into day 12, and the uber break out has cleared up a bit, and in fact I'm think less red than I ever have before, but it's still pretty red. I'm going to switch over to drinking water only for a few days and see if that helps.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You guys are making me feel really lucky my skin is fine...
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are what you eat. The time it takes to get your skin cleared up is soley up to you and what you ingest--eat junk and a lot of sugar, and your skin won't clear up. Eat healthy and drink lots of water and....well you get the picture.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my nose and cheeks lost the red almost instantly... but, like AO, i've had pimply breakouts like mad (and i'm 38. clearly nothing like a teenager anymore!!!)

but... i have noticed the tell-tale aging on my elbows (elephant skin) is significantly smoother now, too. and my crows feet are much smaller.

maybe my skin is reverting back to the age where i started poisoning it? (wouldn't that be lovely!!)

anyway... keep hydrated, take your vitamins and/or eat a healthy diet... i'm sure those capillaries will heal in time.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Renarde is correct. Big improvement day 14.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think I got a bit less red at about 2 weeks, but, other than that, my skin has not cleared up (I'm broken out like a teen too, but I was before as well), smoothed out, or otherwise changed.

Not to be the bearer of bad tidings, but, especially if you have Irish blood, your complexion may never return to what you remember. A lot of people with Irish ancestry develop rosacea in their 30s. (A genetic gift.)

The same may be true of English/Scottish/Welsh, etc ancestry, but I haven't researched that.

(Ersatz, I don't think dry elbows are necessarily an aging thing. I've had patchy elbows, ankles, and knees since I hit puberty. It may, however, be related to hydration.)
Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It took about 3 weeks for me. I think my face looks years younger. I have noticed that if I don't get enough rest the redness comes back a little. I'm trying to drink more water - bought one of those Brita water filtering containers for the fridge. It was about $30 but I justified it when I thought about the price of a bottle of tequila I would not be buying that weekend.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saddler View Post
It took about 3 weeks for me. I think my face looks years younger. I have noticed that if I don't get enough rest the redness comes back a little. I'm trying to drink more water - bought one of those Brita water filtering containers for the fridge. It was about $30 but I justified it when I thought about the price of a bottle of tequila I would not be buying that weekend.
Oh man I hear ya. I'm saving nearly 400 bucks a month by not drinking anymore