Notices

Emotions

Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotions

Has anyone experienced their emotions being all over the place in early sobriety? I could be in a positive mood in the morning and then by night my mind does not stop. Constantly thinking and over analyzing, I was just curious if emotion/mood changes get better with time?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common Strength

I closed my feelings off for years, squashed them down with booze - removing the booze was like breaking the dam wall...

The floods may rage for a while but you will find your emotional water level again tho - stay with it
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, the emotional swings got much better with each day sober. The swings were the worst the first two or three days and started to taper off with each new day.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Very common in early recovery. With more sober time your emotions should smooth out. Hang in there.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's normal. It's part of recovery.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strength11 View Post
Has anyone experienced their emotions being all over the place in early sobriety? I could be in a positive mood in the morning and then by night my mind does not stop. Constantly thinking and over analyzing, I was just curious if emotion/mood changes get better with time?
YES!

All over the place and at every pace. It is a roller coaster. Up the slow steep hill and then racing to the turn to slow again for another hill.

That constant thinking and over analyzing is me to a tee! Throw in some scenario thinking as well while we are at it. From the time my eyes open my mind starts spinning to the point that I have said out loud many times "JUST STOP!".

Now I pray. I just say a prayer and think of a blank white page and it helps. It seems to help me focus and slows down the show.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Yes! I have been crying a lot. It's been cathartic actually. Grieving for a lot of things done and not done. A toxic pool of shame, guilt and sadness.

Then, this morning I had jury duty. I was late....I didn't sleep well last night, traffic was bad and then I couldn't find a parking space. All my fault and I knew it. I was kicking myself for being so irresponsible - that feeling I used to get the morning after drinking too much.

The lady behind the counter evidently needed to make sure I felt stupid and small, so she reprimanded me, pointing out how late I was, what I missed and asked point blank..."why would you even show up this late?"

I already felt bad....but I just lost it there in the jury room. Ran crying from the room.

In the old days I may have replied snidely, or deflected with a joke. Ah well....who says all the drama needs to be in the courtroom?

Still feeling icky....victimized. Hoping it passes soon. But it really is a rollercoaster!