Notices

Alcohol and nicotine

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and nicotine

I am almost a week sober

But I still smoke a pack or so a day...yuck I know!

My question is...is it too soon to attempt to quit smoking too? Or should I wait a little longer?

Thank you,

Patricia
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

That is really up to you. I've been sober over 13 months now and I still smoke. I am just not ready to give it up yet.

I will admit there is no way I would have given it up in the first week, but that is just me. Everyone is different.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I quit smoking years before I quit drinking(the first time).
Old 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congratulations on your first week. Some people seem to be able quit both at once. If you can your body will be able to heal faster. I just quit smoking for my second time since starting my recovery. It seems like I get more thoughts of using alcohol when I quit. Just thoughts though not actual cravings. You might want to mentally prepare for that. If you feel ready join the 24 hour thread on the smoking section of SR My pulse rate went from 100 bpm to 76 after I quit smoking. 24 extra beats every minute to make up for the oxygen deprivation from smoking. That really motivates me to stay stopped.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit smoking and drinking on the same day. It hasn't been easy but it's been manageable. Keep in mind though I wasn't an every day drinker-just a binge drinker on the weekends.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 9 but still smoking. That's my next hurdle to tackle.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Seems to me if you have 2 crutches and you take away 1 you could still get along. Taking away both at the same time you'd be more likely to stumble.

I've also read somewhere that the chances of gaining long time sobriety increase when quitting smoking also

I'm still smoking 2 packs a day and trying to quit my doc. It won't happen , quitting the cigs at this time..... yer right tho, double yuck

Tr
Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I quit a three pack a day smoking habit, and a 30 plus units of alcohol habit daily from wake up to pass out, at the same time. But I checked into a 7 day in hospital medical detox because I could not get day one for either. I figured since I couldn't smoke in the hospital anyway, why waste a perfectly good detox on only one of the two addictions I was killing myself doing. At first I thought one was a trigger for the other. In hindsight breathing and being conscious were triggers for me. But it is great to be free of them both. Never again!

It's different for each. But you need to do it your way not mine. What do you think will work best for you?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's up to you, Patricia. I would just caution if you do try to quit smoking that you don't let it interfere with your sobriety from alcohol.

I quit smoking (and chewing tobacco) five to six years ago by drinking a bunch of coffee for about a week. Good thing I don't like coffee, or I probably would have picked up a caffeine addiction.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I quit both 10 days ago. Nicoderm is a huge help. If you plan on stopping both anyway, why not do it at the same time? I feel amazing and it is great motivation to keep going.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I *started* smoking again when I cleaned up almost 10 months ago. However, I haven't had a cigarette or any other form of nicotine in over 24 days now. I personally would not suggest quitting smoking right away, but the responsibility ultimately falls on you. Will quitting smoking make you drink again? I've seen that happen to people. It's all relative to the individual. That being said, from a health standpoint, I would say quit, and quit NOW. Just my $0.02.