help for a coworker

Old 05-08-2002, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Van
Paused

help for a coworker

Hi. I (among others I work with) am very concerned about our coworkers drinking patterns. She totally denies she has a problem. In fact, she does not think we know she is on leave because of it. This is the third time she has had to take some time off. Things are leaking out here and there about her and where she is now...treatment; waiting until she has a clean urine drop. Is there anything we can do or say to her to help her without coming on to strong? Again, she does not think she has a drinking problem and she does not know we are aware that she does. She has been in a few car accidents while under the influence. She has been in jail twice because of drinking and driving. Maybe she has not reached her bottom yet??? I (we) just don't want to see her get hurt or kill herself. What can I do - if anything. I am a recovering alcoholic myself so I know the person has to make the calls but I have never been on this side before.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

Hello Van!
You know the drill. She'll get help when she decides to. However, you may have a slight advantage that other anons don't always have. You can say "been there". If this is someone you feel close enough to that you would say that, you might offer to take her to a meeting maybe? Dino's last roomate handed him a Big Book after they'd known each other for only two days. I believe Dino took it in the spirit in which it was meant. Although he still doesn't admit that he has that sort of problem, he did read some of the book and it did seem to make some small dent in the armor.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 05-08-2002, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Van

As a recovering alcoholic, you may decide to make a 12-step call, backing off immediately if it is not welcomed...read chapter 7 "Working With Others" in the AA Big Book.

Know what is bizarre? Every morning I do a reading and in addition I open any one of my books at random to see if a page "speaks to me". This morning I opened my Big Book at exactly Chapter 7.

Hope it helps. I know it can be tough for a codependant to discern the difference between a rescue and a 12-step call, but deep down we all know the difference.

Good Luck and a prayer for you and you coworker.

Hugs

P.S. She may not know you are a recovering alcoholic. If not, she may be encouraged by the progress you have made in your own recovery. That's how Bill Wilson got clean.

[This message has been edited by anns (edited May 08, 2002).]
Old 05-08-2002, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

...and sharing some of your own experience, strength and hope may open a door. If she doesn't go through it today she may in the future.

JT