Notices

Alcohol and the menopause

Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and the menopause

Hello everyone

Day 12 for me today and so far so good!

One of my priorities for giving up the alcohol was the menopause. Prior to Christmas 2012, I was having up to 20 hot flushes (flashes) per day, which were keeping me awake at night. I had chronic fatigue as well. None of which were helped by my alcohol consumption.

I was prescribed HRT (hormone replacement therapy) in February 2013, which has hot rid of the hot flushes and the fatigue. However, one of the side effects of HRT is an increase in blood pressure (BP).

At first, whilst I was still drinking, I was talking garlic capsules and co-enzyme Q10, to try and combat high BP. My BP was elevated at my last clinic visit. My next clinic visit is end September and it will be interesting to see what effect stopping drinking will have had. Will continue to take my supplements though.

I am so thankful I have given up. HRT has really helped me and I now thing, why jepordise my chances of receiving this helpful therapy, in favour of drinking.

This is one of my many reasons to stop drinking. I have found adding items to my 'list of reasons' and keeping reading that list very helpful, along with being on SR.

Thanks to everyone on here
Old 09-10-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi Badga and good on you for Day 12! You are absolutely right in that alcohol won't help CFS or menopause or high bp one bit. I've skated through menopause pretty lightly but I've had treatment for high bp for years. On Monday I hit six months sober, just prior to that my bp medication was halved. I hope it's the same for you. (Or better.)