Notices

seizures

Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seizures

I've been reading about alcohol induced seizures lately. I get scared every time i Detox, hopefully this will be my last time. I've been in the hospital 3 times for detox and the past 2 I did at a friends house because I lost my health insurance. I've never had a seizure that I know of. I've had really bad withdrawls with the shakes. My doctor one time told me he had never seen anyone with as much alcohol in there system as mine (wether he said that as truth or to scare me I don't know)... I was wondering if I could have them in my sleep and not know it? Does the seizure feel really bad afterwards or just weird to wake up and not know what happened? Its been 2 weeks since I stopped drinking, do I still have to worry about having a seizure?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us are Drs GG.

I wouldn't like to assure you you'll be ok, and then for you to have a problem tonight.

Usually withdrawal seizures, when they occur, are evident in days not weeks...but if you feel concerned about this (or anything else) there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
there is also, of course, the ER

D
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd say see a doctor if you think you might have had a seizure or definitely if you think you might. As Dee mentioned, there are free options even if you don't have insurance.

More importantly, what are you doing to make sure you don't ever have to detox again? Do you have any kind of sobriety plan? 2 weeks is a good start, congratulations on getting that far. Now the key is to keep it going, right?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee thanks for that link, there is a place in walking distance to me in Brooklyn. I'm not really worried about having a seizure, I think I am just reading too much...! It has been 2 weeks, so the odds are rare. I feel fine. I was more interested in people who have had seizures themselves.
I don't really have a place except to now drink anymore. I quit smoking 7 years ago and that took a few times also. In my mind I was hoping I can do it like I quit smoking. I basically told myself I can have a smoke anytime I want but chose not to. I'm doing that with the booze. If it works for one addiction it can work for both I think. They are kind of the same, you see them all over the place. Outside people are always smoking, go out to eat people are drinking, so have to get use to it I guess. This is the first time I have not had an interest in drinking, I just don't want to feel that sick again.