Notices

Day 3 - Again...

Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 - Again...

I am back and I am sorry to say that I didn't make it very far last time. My drinking and behaviour got progressively worse after that but I have brushed myself off and I think I'm ready to quit for good this time. *crosses fingers*

I'm only on day 3 and I didn't sleep at all last night/this morning but I read somewhere that "you feel better after having no sleep than 'sleeping' after alcohol" and I honestly believe that's true. Though I was shaky, felt as if my brain had been replaced with mist, nauseous and sweating I didn't have that all-so-familiar booze and toothpaste taste in my mouth which I've grown so, so, so sick of. Nor did I have to worry about who I had upset over the weekend which is a relief as I still have to make amends for last Wednesday.

I've been reading a lot of threads here and for some reason I've been surprised how much I can relate to everybody's stories. The "You know you're an active alcoholic when" and it's counter-part were especially shocking as I realised just how ridiculous my alcohol addicted brain is and the lengths it will go to to delude me about my condition.

Apologies for the somewhat random post but I feel here I am with people who understand that it's not possible to have "just one drink" and hope this is the start of something.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you slipped but happy that you're back, giving it another go.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here orieme! Keep on reading, learning and sharing and you will be able to do it this time!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello orieme, I know what you mean, 1 leads us down a dark path, glad you are thro the first 3 days, keep strong keep posting x
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey orieme, I am on day 3 as well!!, and feeling a bit like yourself.
I was ok yesterday but today I cant seem to get rested, and have a strange cotton wool feeling in my head.
Hopefully in a day or two we will start to feel a bit more normal. Ive been eating lots of veggies and some multivitamins and lots of fluids cranberry juice, herbal tea etc, and I think this is taking the edge off, as it were.
Congrats on your third day!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

I did spend a good hour or so at 4AM here and it really does make a difference.

Another random anecdote, sorry. I was out a week or so ago in a bar and a post I'd read here where somebody said "for an alcoholic it isn't the fourth, fifth or sixth drink that gets them drunk it's the first" popped into my head. At the time I was halfway through my first drink already thinking of the next one and by the second I was thinking of what vodka, rum or whiskey to start on to get to that promised, but always non-existent, happy drunk place as soon as possible. I think that's when things clicked though I did have a few false starts afterwards. Has anybody else had such a moment? Either inspired by this site or just a sudden realisation that control had long since abandoned them?

Leongecko, it's good to speak to someone going through the same thing and on the same day to boot. Hopefully we can stay the course! I'm on the multi-vitamins as well - though I have been for the past two months due to a fractured humerus (guess what was involved with that incident?...) - sadly, I haven't been as healthy with my diet. You're definitely ahead of me in that respect, I'm not sure I could stomach herbal tea at this stage but vegetables are great. I promise to give the tea a go later.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Haha, yes the herbal tea can be an acquired taste, some of them are horrible. I like the liquorice ones and the lime flower is suitably zingy. The main reason I drink them is because tea and coffee give me the jitters, and I'm a bit jittery as it is right now.
Anyway, good to know we are in the same boat! Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back orieme

whats your plan to stay sober?

D
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's day four and I managed to turn down a friend's invitation to go out and walk past one of my bars despite the nice weather on the way back from work. I'd be lying outright if I say I was/am not tempted!

I don't have a plan as such other than not to drink, am I being naive? I was hoping to go jogging down the park but my friend wouldn't come... Looks like I need at least one new friend as all ones I can think of drink!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on day 4!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cheers . Well done on day four too.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks! I had a particularly irksome day at work and have had loads to do, and was sorely tempted to go to the boozer, where a pretty young woman would pour my favourite drink and I would take a sip and then feel dreadful, drink 3 more pints, feel fat and greasy and bloated and come home and get utterly wankered. But instead I came home, did my laundry, filed all my company scraps of paper, hoovered, made some curried lentils (its nice honest) and just sat down with a glass of juice and some sweets.
Gotta keep busy its the only way!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Oriene.....I read something here about getting sober. It's not about stopping, it's about not starting.

You've "not started" for 3 days....great job.

The reason the first drink gets us in trouble....the person ordering the second drink is a different person than the one who orders the first drink. I believe it is a disease of "more". I like brussel sprouts. I can have a plate, but the entire time I am eating that first plate I am not concerned about the second plate. I don't bring extra brussel sprouts along to a restaurant tucked into my purse. I don't keep brussel sprouts under my bathroom sink to eat before I go out. And I don't head right back to finish them off when I get home.

Sorry if I just turned you off from brussel sprouts forever. But seriously, I think it highlights the difference in our craving for more, I don't think normal people think the same way I do.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You definitely did the right thing, nice one! I know how tempting it is to go to straight to a pub after a bad day in work (paradoxically I also reward myself for having a good day with the same thing) but we both know how ****** it feels the day after too. Roll on sober Day 5 for us both.

Thanks Jaynie. I can definitely understand what you're saying and I think the sprouts point is a good one, it really shows how distorted our thinking is when it comes to alcohol.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by orieme View Post
. . . I feel here I am with people who understand that it's not possible to have "just one drink" and hope this is the start of something.
This is one of the things keeping me in line