Notices

You Don't Have to Stop Having Fun...

Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

You Don't Have to Stop Having Fun...

I just wanted to put this out there for any newcomers who might feel like their fun is over because they're chosen to quit drinking/using. No way people, the fun is just about to start as soon as that fog in your head clears up!

I am coming up on 2 years sober soon and I have been to baseball games, concerts, you name it I've probably been to it. Yes alcohol was being served and yes I was around people who were drinking, but did I want to? nope. Because I planned ahead and I made sure I had an out incase I wanted to get away. take your own car, have a sober friend with you, and keep your cell phone ready to make a call should you need one.

But you don't have to quit doing fun things like that, you just have to give yourself time to GET BETTER before you go out and try them.

Anyone else done anything fun sober that you'd like to share about?
Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lol totally simple but while showering this Morning it was great to be just getting washed as opposed to trying frantically to sober myself up! It's daft things for me just now - the little things.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sgs

Ever since I met my husband of many many years,he has rarely drank--just doesn,t like it.He has never had any problem with going anywhere where booze is . This was probably very handy for me as I always had a DD. Once years ago we were at a convention with lots of party rooms. The next am we were eating breakfast in the hotel and 2 guys came in looking like death warmed over. They greeted us and one said to husband,how do you do it. You look so good for being the life of the partOy last. He told them he had been drinking soda. They were amazed. One of our sons told friends once--my dad doesn't have to add chemicals to his body to act crazy!!! Susan Day 25 and counting
Old 09-09-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I went on a sober joyride once at 2 a.m. Lol. We had a car load of people from AA and we all went out to eat and then just hung out and drove around town half the night chatting and laughing and such. We got pulled over by a cop for looking suspicious and when we all burst out laughing and he noticed all the AA pamphlets on the dash of the car he let us go. Lmao.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
I went on a sober joyride once at 2 a.m. Lol. We had a car load of people from AA and we all went out to eat and then just hung out and drove around town half the night chatting and laughing and such. We got pulled over by a cop for looking suspicious and when we all burst out laughing and he noticed all the AA pamphlets on the dash of the car he let us go. Lmao.
LOL that's awesome. I think this is a big fear for those in early recovery, that they'll never have fun again. I haven't yet gone out to parties or concerts because I want to wait until I'm ready to do it safely--but I know that it's totally possible to have fun w/o drinking!

If you think about it, we were all kids once and we had lots of good sober fun then, our brains have not lost this, they've just forgotten it. It's still in us though, I think we just have to work to find it again. <3
Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are even things you can do that don't involve alcohol at all, who knew? Not me. I got asked out on a date and 'going for a drink' wasn't mentioned at all among about 5 other options. I have made new friends who I haven't even witnessed around alcohol. This would have been unthinkable to me before and I think I would have viewed these people as a threat to my drunkenness. People actually do stuff like go for walks and art galleries for fun, getting involved in community events and the like. I don't even feel 'square' for doing this stuff which was my biggest fear when I was still drinking. I had this mortal fear of being boring sober. Turns out hiding myself away at home drinking myself silly was the boring option.

I still don't feel 100% around drinking atmospheres but a large part of that is I find them boring now. There are plenty of other options though so I don't feel like I am missing out any. But I know I can handle it if it's required of me.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

I did not know you could golf sober until I did. Went to an AA golf outing and had a great time. This Sunday is my 3rd time and I am really looking forward to it!!!! I call it sober squirrel hunting because I'm in the trees more than I am on the grass. one of the few things that did not improve I'm just as bad drunk as I am sober
Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is really good to hear as I am an avid golfer and go to many concerts and sporting events. I'm one month sober and still have fears of never having fun again but this is really good stuff. Thanks for sharing these thoughts!

PS. My golf game is better sober. I tricked myself into thinking it was the other way around. Lol
Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post! Thanks for the smile. You are correct I'm starting to see life can actually be more fun sober!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I am going to a Phillies game tomorrow night and I know the people all around me will be drinking, and that damn beer vender guy will probably walk past announcing his 9$ bottle of some crappy lite beer (yes that's right I said 9$ isn't that ridiculous!?) And I usually tell him to go back up and send the ice cream guy down to my section. =P