Notices

The Media and Alcohol

Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Media and Alcohol

Day 25 and trying to ward off my weekend behavior with a stack of NETFLIX. Is it just me, or is alcohol a theme in almost every "modern" series (ie: Sopranos, etc). Not just alcohol use but abuse in every other scene and it is tossed off as "having a good time". Rehab and recovery is also made to look rather "instant and painless". I guess that's why they call it fiction. On the other hand, there are some good movies about getting sober. For example, the movie "Smashed" and the movie "Flight". Perhaps some folks out there know of others...a list of movies that motivate sobriety would be a good thing on these long weekends. Also, trying to slog my way through the novels I pretended to read in college (got hammered instead and read the Cliff notes). Started with Catcher in the Rye and am now trying to take on Tolstoy. I faked my way through college, grad school and I was drunk out of my mind writing my dissertation and then during the defense. Somehow got through...and made me feel all the more invincible. Alcohol was EVERYWHERE when I was teaching...it was called creativity juice and I used it to face the kids I knew were smarter than me. I feel like I ripped them off, their parents paid for their kids to be taught by the class clown. I'd like to get back into teaching sober...maybe I could pay it back.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I had to quit watching Mad Men. Amazing amount of drinking and body image stuff there.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pretty much everything reminded me of drinking at the start - it doesn't register now tho

D
Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Perhaps some folks out there know of others...a list of movies that motivate sobriety would be a good thing on these long weekends.
Check this out...

Recovery, Addiction, and Alcoholism in the News, Movies, and Pop Culture - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information