I'm past due for a check-in...

Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm past due for a check-in...

Hello to all my friends, and to all the newcomers I have not gotten to know yet.

Life has been incredibly busy and leaves very little time for the internet.

I have been fighting a UTI that landed me in the ER over two months ago, and just finished up my 3rd round of antibiotics (10 days of cipro). This has left me very fatigued and it takes all my energy just to keep the household running. I hope it is gone this time, and will see my doc the 3rd week of this month.

My sweet big shy greyhound, Randy, turned 13 in April, and he is nearing the end of his journey here on earth. For now he is comfortable, and a tweak in his medications has brought him back to "sassing" me for his meals, and even play-bowing in the back yard to me. Any of you who know me know that my four-legged companions are my second set of kids, and I will do anything for them. I cherish each day that I am allowed to spend time with that precious boy!

My mom is not doing well at all emotionally and mentally. She will be 81 in December, and Dad will turn 81 in February. All kinds of paperwork drawn up by Dad's attorney has been taken care of (brother flew in from CT three months ago) and signed. Dad was very meticulous in putting everything into a trust so that each one of them is taken when the other dies, and my brother and I won't have to deal with probate.

I highly suspect Mom's condition is a result of long-term sleep deprivation (decades of only 4 hours sleep a night) and dementia. Dad insists on handling it on his own, so I made a commitment to drive up there every other week for a day to see them and help start sorting through years of stuff they have accumulated. It gives him a bit of a break, and I love them both dearly.

Dad will be in Wichita on Wednesday for a nuclear stress test, so I will be there to sit with Mom during that procedure. I've already decided to go through a bunch of pictures, take them with me for her to see, and her mind will be occupied while Dad is doing the test. When he first had his pacemaker put in, I had my cell phone and she looked at dozen of pictures. Before she knew it, Dad was done and in recovery!

I have come to accept that she isn't the mom that I grew up with, and painful as that fact is, I try and find some positive in it all. She has done two "firsts" with Dad. She insisted that she wanted to go to the rodeo during their county fair because she wanted to see the bulls. Mom has never wanted to see a rodeo! Then she went with Dad to the high school football game Friday and Dad said she was hollering for the home team (she abhors sports, and Dad loves them).

I have reconnected with an old friend who has a son one month older than my youngest daughter, Amber. He's heavy into crystal meth, and with no Alanon or Naranon locally, I've introduced her to some Alanon materials. We make it a point to get together weekly. I share my experience, strength, and hope with her.

I am so incredibly grateful for all the gifts that God has given me in recovery. July marked 14 years in recovery from codependency, and August 5th marked 23 years clean/sober for me. I celebrated at anniversary night the last Wednesday of August (we have potluck and then the meeting). My old sponsor celebrated 32 years.

I am hoping to make a little time to get on SR daily and start posting again. I miss reading and making new friends here.

For all you newcomers here, please know that a full and rich life is possible if you really want it. I've weathered more turbulence over the years than I thought ever possible.

Warm hugs to each and every one of you!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((DeVon))) It's so darn good to see you.

Indeed your life is busy and how blessed your parents are to have you. It's so hard to watch our parents get old and watch their failing health. I remember with my mom sharing pictures like you are doing and talking about old times. I was surprised how much she remembered. Today I am glad I went through that with her, it was a special time in her life and mine too, and I don't regret a day of it.

Hope your health is on the mend, you've been fighting that bug for a long time and it gets harder once the immune system gets tired. Be sure to take care of yourself as well as your folks.

Hugs to you and to Randy, may be live well for a long time to come.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DeVon, We have missed you. Thank you for the update. Your beautiflul fur babies have been missed!
TT
Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

DeVon!
Good to "see" you! It's hard to watch our loved ones (fur babies I clouded) aging around us. It is important to cherish each moment.

Hope you're feeling better ........take care of you.

gentle hugs
ke