wow.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

wow.

I went to a newcomer's and regular alanon meeting yesterday morning. The people are amazing. Loving and welcoming.......all of my preconceived notions about AA and Alanon have been shattered, which is good. A woman spoke about the 10th step, her family and her addictions as well.

My mom is the daughter of an abusive alcoholic father. As a grandfather he was wonderful. He still drank, but never said a harsh word to us. My mom's not an alcoholic but is a food addict who suffers from severe depression and anxiety. I know a lot of this is from being abused, but she's always refused to get help. This meeting brought up so many things for me that have absolutely nothing to do with my current relationship, which sent me to alanon.

I am finally able to "take what I want and leave the rest". It's so healing and I have new realizations every day about myself and the people I love....where I fit into the world......

I thought I had it all figured out. I have been in therapy for years and years but forgot that I have my own recovery for certain things that I must always work on. It's humbling, but uplifting. I feel so grateful. I hope it lasts.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi readerbaby, I'm so glad you found a great group! Hope the good work continues!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Readerbaby, that is so wonderful. I'm really happy for you.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RB, can't tell you how glad I am that you're finding help and are just off and running with it! You are doing GREAT!

There is nothing like that feeling of being among people who "get it", is there? You don't have to struggle to make yourself understood.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

readerbaby-

I did not grow up in a family with outright substance addiction. Neither of my parents struggle with drugs or alcohol.

I think both of them though grew up in alcoholic homes.

It was a co dependent run around however.

I got into Al-Anon after years of therapy for a relationship I was in with an alcoholic....boy did I get a great healing opportunity with my family of origin too....when I realized how insidious the disease was and how it impacted generations to come.