What do i expect with alcoholism dementia

Old 09-07-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do i expect with alcoholism dementia

Hello,

My name is Megan. My brother has been an alcoholic for 20 years or more. He has been to rehab several times and seems to resort back to alcohol everytime. He recently went on a one month binge of drinking hard liquor, not drinking enough water and not nourishing his body with food. My parents got a call from a man he was staying with and told them to come and get his son as he was going to die. My brother was in a confused state when they arrived and had lost 50 pounds.

My brother now has alcoholism dementia and hepatitus C. My family had no idea there was even such a thing as alcohol dementia, we have been thrown into this with our heads underwater. We have no idea what to expect, if he will come out of this or it will get worse. I have researched this and there is a lot on dementia but not so much on the alcohol side of it.

I am writing this wondering if anyone has been through this with a loved one and what was the outcome...any information would be helpful. My parents are not realy capable to take care of my brother for long but he can't be alone and needs constant care. What to do? It is breaking our hearts to see my brother like this and also the burden that he has put onto my family from his drinking...

Any information or links to websites or suggestions would be much appreciated.

God Bless
Love and Light,
Megan
Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi megan, i'm so very sorry for the circumstances that bring you hear. Wikipedia described Alcohol Dementia and Wet Brain here: Alcohol dementia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
both are results of long term alcohol abuse....some patients, if caught early enough, and with proper medical care and treatment, can recover to some degree. altho to be honest the outcomes are usually limited. in any case for recovery to be remotely possible the alcoholic must cease drinking completely and probably best if they remain in a supervised setting.

another site that gives information is here: Alcohol Dementia Signs & Symptoms | eHow

I really wish I had more to offer. it's tragic where alcoholism leads and what it does. this must be so devastating. I wish the best for all of you!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

The Immortal Alcoholic
Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If your brother was diagnosed in a hospital, I can recommend contacting the hospital social worker. That person will have information and resources which may be helpful as far as arranging long-term care for your brother.

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. You and your entire family are in my prayers.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. My husband's twin brother seems to be in the early stages of the same thing and it is heartbreaking. Your parents and you must be heartbroken. God bless you.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Megan, I have been through the same with my alcoholic sister. She too has been an alcoholic for 20 years. In her case, also with hep C, she has encephalopathy, which is quite similar to the dementia you described.
According to what the doctor said, it's excess of ammonia that the liver can't process (from protein, and sometimes from undetected internal bleedings, I'm not sure) that goes to the brain and causes the erratic/disorganized behaviour. After a few days in the hospital her levels went back to normal and she woke up conscious again, with no recollection of any of it.
I'm sorry to say the outcome isn't good if they don't stop drinking in cases of hep C. BUT getting sober stops the alcohol damage to the liver, and there's a new treatment for hep C that is quite promising from what I've heard. Of course, treating the alcoholism is the priority.
I'm sorry you're going through this. I've been in and out of hospitals with my sister for years and I know how confusing, stressful and maddening it is.
Get all the information you can, you'll need it.
Hugs to you and your family.