Notices

Dropping things - CNS repairing itself in early recovery?

Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Dropping things - CNS repairing itself in early recovery?

I've been dropping a lot of things today. Everything from my digital camera to plates. Miraculously, nothing has broken (yet)! Has anyone else had experience of this around the 2 month mark? Is it part of the central nervous system rewiring itself or something?

Also my short-term memory is shot, even more so than in my previous recovery attempts. My mum will phone me at night and ask me what I did during the day and I can only remember one or two things even though my diary was packed.

This is all still better than drinking, of course. For me, anything's better than drinking.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm still not sure what I think about PAWS, but the theory certainly has a lot of adherents and might explain what's going on.

Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrom (PAWS)|Intervention Services Virginia

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...periences.html

The short answer is, yes, it's probably neurochemical rewiring, and nope, it's nothing to worry about.

If you run a search on SR for PAWS, you'll find lots of threads on the subject.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks Allie. I'll give those a read over dinner as I'm always interested in reading about PAWS.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Thanks Allie. I'll give those a read over dinner as I'm always interested in reading about PAWS.
Oh, lol. I didn't realize you were already familiar with the term. You may have already read those. Hope you and your plates have an uneventful dinner!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No half measures

I had exactly what you discribed as well of short periods of total zone outs
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by AllieB View Post
Oh, lol. I didn't realize you were already familiar with the term. You may have already read those. Hope you and your plates have an uneventful dinner!
Lol, no worries. I hadn't read those but I've read other articles/threads on PAWS. I read the article and part of the thread and they were both very helpful. It does sound like I might have PAWS as I also have the symptom of my mind racing/extreme emotional responses. Thanks, I did survive dinner without dropping anything!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still have 2 cuts on my hands from weeks 5 and 6. I was unloading the dishwasher and a plate flew out of my hands like I was possessed. And then the following week I dropped makeup in the bathroom which was oh such a delight to clean up....

To the best of my knowledge my head never spun around completely, but I wouldn't put money on it!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I go through these phases where I can't talk... lol. I mean, I can talk, but the words just come out all jumbled, really messed up I have NEVER had this issue until getting sober. I forget names of objects (this has mostly corrected itself), and rearrange words in my sentence oddly, and then I'll sort of mix up the actual word itself... creating new words. I think this may have to do with the fact I'm highly verbal and that's where my intelligence and creativity lies... so that part of my brain was very much affected negatively by alcohol. It's repairing, and I guess this is just what happens. I'm not too worried about it.

As for actually stumbling around and dropping things... I'm not dropping things, but I am sometimes having issues with losing balance and kind of stumbling a little. I haven't fallen or anything, but it feels like when I move from one location to another, or say, if I get up from a seated position and start walking, that is when it's most likely to happen.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I'm so sorry to say this, Louise, but I'm at over 7 months now and I'm still dropping clangers - and other things! Short and not-so-short-term memory are also shot to bits at times

But it could just be me - and the rest of sobriety is wonderful!

Hang in there
Old 09-07-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I I forget names of objects and rearrange words in my sentence oddly, and then I'll sort of mix up the actual word itself... creating new words. I think this may have to do with the fact I'm highly verbal and that's where my intelligence and creativity lies... so that part of my brain was very much affected negatively by alcohol. It's repairing, and I guess this is just what happens. I'm not too worried about it..
Oh, please, please, please let this be true!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I'm highly verbal and that's where my intelligence and creativity lies... so that part of my brain was very much affected negatively by alcohol. It's repairing, and I guess this is just what happens. I'm not too worried about it.
Yes, this is true for me also. Words are an important part of my life and my identity and my creative strengths are centred on the verbal. I've been mixing up words/using the wrong word both when I'm speaking and when I'm writing, but like you say, it's all part of the repair process. I doubt it'll last forever.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I sure hope it's temporary!!! Lmao. I sound like a nut sometimes. I'll say something to my husband, and just start laughing... can't believe it comes out the way it does
Old 09-07-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep healing!!!

been there, done that, at a little over 2 years of sobriety, it's all so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Isn't it awesome that our brains can re-wire the neural pathways? Yes, ok, it's not so awesome to clean up the mess or to talk gobbledegook, but what a fantastic gift, to pump blood and breathe oxygen and rebuild. x