Notices

Checking In - Third Weekend Sober

Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking In - Third Weekend Sober

Hey, all. Today's my 18th day without drinking. This is the longest I've ever gone since I was pregnant 13 years ago. I've struggled a here and there, but like everybody says, ride out the cravings and they soon will pass. Loading up on lots of mocktails, reading, keeping busy, and surprisingly, they DO pass. It really am taking it one day at a time, though. Sometimes it's one minute at a time.

Going to an early dinner with my husband, son, and one of my son's friends. My son told his dad the other day that he's so happy that we're not drinking. He wants to spend more time with us now. I'm really cherishing that because in a few short years he'll be out of high school and gone. I feel like I need to take advantage of every chance I have to be with my children and to show them that even though I've made mistakes that I am trying my hardest to be a better person and a better example.

Weekends were always the toughest, but I'm happy to say this is my third sober Saturday. It's wonderful to wake up early without a hangover and actually do something productive. Just started reading Drinking: A Love Story and am finding it completely riveting. And scary.

Thanks for all the support on these boards. It's really, really helpful.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Way to go, Celticgirl. What a lovely, inspiring post
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

nice job celticgirl

uh..what's a mocktail?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mocktails are non-alcoholic cocktails. Some of my favorites are lime seltzer with pineapple juice, a little coconut syrup, and fresh lime, or ginger beer with a lemon, raspberry and honey simple syrup. I still like to sit on my porch for a half an hour or so and wind down with something icy in a pretty glass.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep it up . You sound wonderful! Enjoy your weekend with your family & take time for you
Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celticgirl View Post
Going to an early dinner with my husband, son, and one of my son's friends. My son told his dad the other day that he's so happy that we're not drinking. He wants to spend more time with us now. I'm really cherishing that because in a few short years he'll be out of high school and gone. I feel like I need to take advantage of every chance I have to be with my children and to show them that even though I've made mistakes that I am trying my hardest to be a better person and a better example.
That brought a tear to my eyes, I'm not sure my children have realised anything has changed, but I am happier knowing that I am more "there" for them now. Congratulations on your achievement x
Old 09-07-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done celticgirl, thats fantastic x
Old 09-07-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey CG,

I think that you will love "Drinking, A Love Story" as it truly tells our (at least) my story and pulls no punches. A terrible shame to have lost CK so very soon
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Celtic, great job on sobriety! Awesome! You are riding out the urges. Have you heard of urge surfing? Google it. It helps. Keep up the good work. It gets so much better.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time Celticgirl.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its really wonderful to have one's children respond when we are 100% sober, unaffected us, isn't it? Thanks for sharing your update, and the inspiration.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrates CG!
I am attempting this yet AGAIN - only on day 5....
Question for you - You said you are enjoying being productive again - right now and the several other times I've tried doing this - I feel guilty b/c I feel so much better, but still don't have the drive or motivation to tackle the projects around my house. I almost feel too overwhelmed after all the time I have let things "go" and there is so much to do.

How did you and when did you start to feel motivated to get up and get things done?

Keep it up - your post is inspiring!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

RecoveryAttempt, congratulations on day five. I just find when I get really antsy, I'll do something mindless like run the vacuum or fold laundry or something with my hands to keep busy. I still haven't found the motivation to clean out the stupid junk drawer in my kitchen

When I first quit, I was reeling after a major shock and literally unable to do much of anything for a couple of days (you can look at some of my older posts) except lay on the couch or in bed, my heart pounding, my mind racing, and worrying about a million things at once. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, and my left eye started twitching (which it's done for years whenever I get stressed out).

After that initial shock wore off, I realized that I need to take better care of myself. So I got back to exercising regularly, eating regular meals, drinking lots of water, etc. Just the act of getting up, dressed, and out of the house for some fresh air made me feel so much better. I cleaned up my kitchen after days of dirty dishes sitting in the sink. I swept the floor. I washed a couple loads of clothes, anything to get my mind off all the stuff I was thinking about.

If it helps you, make a list of all the stuff you need to do around the house, even something relatively small like unloading the dishwasher or cleaning off a counter. Try to just tackle one or two things at a time. You'll feel great once you can check a couple things off your list.

Of course, you really don't have to do anything. Just staying sober can be a full time job. If you don't feel like tackling anything big, there's nobody that says you have to. Just take care of yourself and don't feel guilty. That stuff will get done someday. Be kind to yourself.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blackcat11 View Post
Hey CG,

I think that you will love "Drinking, A Love Story" as it truly tells our (at least) my story and pulls no punches. A terrible shame to have lost CK so very soon
It absolutely is hitting home with me. I feel like she's describing myself. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's ever felt that way. It's a shame that she's gone. What a wonderful writer.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
Hi Celtic, great job on sobriety! Awesome! You are riding out the urges. Have you heard of urge surfing? Google it. It helps. Keep up the good work. It gets so much better.
Googling that now. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misspond View Post
That brought a tear to my eyes, I'm not sure my children have realised anything has changed, but I am happier knowing that I am more "there" for them now. Congratulations on your achievement x
Thank you! It's a really good feeling. I wish I had done this when they were younger, but I'm glad it's happening now. They are still teenagers and drive me crazy sometimes, of course, but if my husband and I being sober gives them one less thing to stress about, that makes me happy.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for such positive inspiration and the ideas.
You and your husband are to be commended! Keep it up and I'm praying for you and your family!

p.s. I'm looking up the book to download for my kindle
Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecoveryAttempt View Post
Thanks for such positive inspiration and the ideas.
You and your husband are to be commended! Keep it up and I'm praying for you and your family!

p.s. I'm looking up the book to download for my kindle

Thanks! I'm glad we're doing this together. I don't think it would work if we both weren't on board. I highly recommend this book. It really speaks to me.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celticgirl View Post
Mocktails are non-alcoholic cocktails. Some of my favorites are lime seltzer with pineapple juice, a little coconut syrup, and fresh lime, or ginger beer with a lemon, raspberry and honey simple syrup. I still like to sit on my porch for a half an hour or so and wind down with something icy in a pretty glass.
that sounds good, i'm going to make one of those - thanks for the recipe!