Notices

seriously, what's wrong with me?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

seriously, what's wrong with me?

I was doing well but everything crashed around me last week. I felt it coming too and i just sat by and watched everything happen like it was a trainwreck. I pulled away and isolated and that landed me back in the drink. I know what i should have done (meetings, sponsor, here) but by then my train was already off the tracks. I'm so ashamed.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shame is understandable but not really helpful DG.

Lack of motivation is pretty common too...but that won't turn things around for you.

you know what to do - what about doing it?

D
Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Thanks, Dee. I've got to call my sponsor in the afternoon and start picking up the pieces again.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad you're back btw

D
Old 09-07-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can bounce back! Don't let it get you too down. You don't fail when you fall, only when you don't get back up again.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing.

So pleased to see you back and posting x

Well, back to what was working for you, but time to push that little bit harder again maybe? When I've had my rocky times and felt disillusioned and anxious, if I've reached out for help and managed to get through it, a huge step forward in my personal growth seems to follow. Every challenge faced successfully has made me stronger and less likely to fall back into old ways.

You can do this DG. Remember next time things get tough, a better day is just around the corner x
Old 09-07-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

GRIT's ,
You've had a learning experience , it's sad when we drink and don't want to but you're here now and with all of us .

When i learned to ride a bike i kept falling off, shame wasn't useful to learning how to skillfully ride a bike and anger only insofar as motivation , i think the same can be said for sobriety .

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back grits.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Crashing sucks, but you didn't crash and burn. You crashed and got the heck outta there!

Glad you're back. I like you, and I love your crazy cat icon. I smile every time I see it.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome back, DG. It'll be ok, you know. You've done your research out there and now you know there's nothing left for us out there. Now you're back and ready to go.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

grits, welcome back, at least you know how great sobriety really feels, and that it is worth fighting for.

welcome to day 1, here we go...
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

DG - it's not uncommon for at least one relapse. It took me umpteen attempts to quit smoking before I did - and that's with having power over that addiction!

And that shame, that toxic emotion? You have a disease process at work, here. Sounds like you're going the AA route so you've done some more research on your first step: we have lost the choice in drink. If I have no choice but to breathe, I'm going to breathe - there's no shame in doing something I have no choice but to do! As one who has lost choice, I just have to find that power that can remove that cunning, insidious obsession, the steps are the vehicle (for me, and sounds like, for you also).

So glad you were able to come right back and are getting right back to AA. Some can't make it back; it took me 13 years.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hey Grits.

I needed to fall apart in order to come together. And when I did, I left behind a lot of bad stuff that had nothing to do with my drinking. For that, I will be forever grateful.

There's a guy in AA I respect, and he'll often say, "Don't drink, go to meetings, and change your whole phucking life."

When we do too much cherry-picking in deciding how we'll get sober, then we end up with nothing. There's a line in the AA Big Book that speaks to this: "Half measures availed us nothing." It doesn't say that half measures will give us fifty percent, twenty percent, or even five percent. Not giving sobriety our best efforts only buys us some dry time. We are not set free, but are set loose.

If my own life is not valuable enough for me to fight for, then what's the point of going on in life?

Stay together.