Notices

Why now?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why now?

I'm on day 340 and fighting the craving to drink. I'm not really sure why. Work has been normal and life seems to be churning right along. So why am I having terrible urges to drink? I have alcohol in the house, always have for socializing and I know it sounds like a bad idea but it hasn't bothered me until now. I'll fall asleep and not have a drink but I am just so confused. When do these urges go away? Is this what I'll have to deal with forever?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had stuff like that for about the first year - we both drank for a long time RV....

Haven;' seen you for a while - what have you been doing for your recovery?

D
Old 09-06-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

Coming up on a year is often accompanied by strong feelings and unwanted thoughts that can make us feel overwhelmed. And for many of us, our way of managing intense thoughts and feelings is to drink.

Being sober for a full year is great, but it also may mean that I've made a commitment to sobriety, and that there's no turning back. "Am I really not going to drink again?" "Since I made it this long, am I actually going to stay sober?" "Am I now responsible for staying sober for the rest of my life?" "What happens if I want to drink again after a full year of sobriety?"

If you don't have a support system in place, now would be a good time to start. If you do, then put it to good use.

I turned my 340 days into twenty five years. You don't need to project that far into the future, but each day you stay sober is another day you have a chance to live a better life.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really have only relied on myself for recovery. I know groups could be a good help for me but I'm so busy training all summer I haven't had time. I've been cycling, it use to be a passion before alcohol took over. It's been a good year.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you don't feel you need more support then I guess the thing to do is power through RV

my second year and beyond were more peaceful.
D
Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Redviper View Post
It's been a good year.
Then keep it. Turning tears into triumph is the ultimate achievement.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

340 days... that's tremendous! Good for you for posting here for support. It's good to know when to reach out for some help.

My advice is to just urge surf your way right through this particular tough one just as you did for any others that popped up along the way... and if this one's the hardest, well it might help to know that an urge passes fairly quickly. If it keeps coming up, maybe tell yourself that it is only an automatic urge to do something that no longer serves you well in life... and now you have other ways of coping. Remind yourself of that. And never allow yourself to rationalize drinking as an option.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

By all means it's easier to beat the cravings now. I have considered going back to church, it's been over a decade. I think it could be a part of the missing piece. Anything is better than drinking.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redviper View Post
I have considered going back to church.
Me too

I made a phone call today to find about a newcomers program at a UU congregation in town. Can't believe I'm about to go to a church

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been doing a lot of praying to keep me strong in the early sober days. I need to at least congregate with others. I need that peaceful feeling I keep hearing about.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all for giving me the extra boost to stay sober. This fight is long term, just like life. I must turn in and rest up for a busy day tomorrow. Stay strong everyone.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good going, Redviper! I'm at about the same point, 11 months sober. You can do it. The old cravings can pop up when you reach boundary-events/milestones. Just be mindful...be aware but don't obsess about it. SR is here if you need support.