Notices

Five days sober

Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five days sober

Hi all! I have been reading posts on this forum for over a year now so I thought I would introduce myself and tell about my struggles with alcohol addiction. For the past five years or so my habit has gotten worse and worse. Last year, I finally accepted I was an alcoholic. It came to me when I realized once I started drinking I couldn't stop until I passed out. Weeknights became a blur and weekends nonexistent as I transitioned from drinking to naps to drinking and then passing out for the night. Over the past few months I ended up taking down half a fifth on weekdays and a full fifth on weekend days. My life became very closed in and, other than work and the store, I pretty much stopped leaving the house.

Then, I got the wakeup call I really needed. I had a few coworkers essentially give me an intervention. They informed me that, even though I never drink in the morning or at work during the week, the smell of alcohol was still ripe on me the next day. I had no idea I was going into work smelling of alcohol for who knows how long. I had crossed the line into having my addiction enter into my place of work. That's when I made the decision to finally work to get sober. I had tried before and failed but this time I'm giving it my all.

It hasn't been an easy journey. My last drink was 9/1/13 during the early afternoon. That night was a very long night. Sweaty, anxious and sleepless. The next night was just as bad. It wasn't until day three that I was able to get some sleep with the help of a mild sleep aid. I started getting outside and exercising (cycling and walking) after work and that helped relax me. Today is day five and I'm happy to say I'm feeling much better physically.

However, with today being a Friday the urge to drink hit me hard on the way home. It took everything in me to avoid stopping by the liquor store. I mustered up all my willpower and went home and got on my bicycle for a 6 mile ride and then grilled myself some dinner. I'm happy to say I'm now in bed typing this and I'm sober. Another day and another victory.

Thanks for all the help over the past year with your posts and I look forward to being a part of this great community!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the posting side of things Zelda

D
Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Zeldafan! You sound like you are really grounded in your decision. It also sounds like you have some lovely co-workers who really care about you :-)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74! SoberChristy, you couldn't be more right about my co-workers. I'm so thankful for them for stepping up and saying something to me. I know it wasn't easy for them to approach me with the issue but I'm glad they did.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

You are very brave. You may not feel like it, but I think you are.

Welcome to sobriety and congratulations on your decision!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and a huge congrats on five days! You sound very motivated and positive. Well done.

Also, I love Zelda. Good name!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you are here and sober. I love waking up sober. It sure beats how I used to feel on waking up.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Congrats on 5 days!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Five days is terrific. I too chose cycling as a way to cope. I rode over 100 miles last weekend. It's a great stress reliever, keep it up and just take it a day at a time. Congrats.