Notices

Attended my first AA meeting today

Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attended my first AA meeting today

This time I actually went through the door

It was a great group. A perfect fit for me.

. . . a special thank you to everyone at SR. Day 16 and feeling very strong about going into the weekend.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good going Alef! I have been to four meetings a week this last two weeks and I was a real sceptic and have been for many years. I was wary, as an atheist of the 'spiritual' aspect and it had the ring of cultishness about it to me. Unfortunately I appear to be unable to stop drinking without peer group support, so I bit the bullet. 'The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking' , to use the cliché. The group is actually great and I'm under no pressure to think or believe anything I don't want to.

Also it appears to be working!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey there:
nothing like going through an open door and finding something good on the other side
Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks AlefVavResh and Mentium. IMO you both serve as good examples. Just by posting you may have furnished just the amount of encouragement that someone who has never been there needs.

I’ve been going for years (so what do I know). When new people to the program like the both of you have the good will to post like you did... it brings a smile. Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Woot! Great job AlefVavResh! I remember when you said that you promised you were going to go earlier in the week.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The first day is the hardest

congrats I wish I had your courage to do one
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You can just observe johnathahn1. Call the local AA office and talk to someone there. They might be able to suggest a specific meeting suited to you. I can almost guarantee you'll be glad you went. If not, I'll "refund your misery".
Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jonathan, I know it is tough walking into the first meeting, but here are two thoughts. The first is that everyone has a first time and when you arrive you realise that nobody is going to judge you. They are all from the same place after all. Many of them will have been through the same hell - and worse - that you have. You will be among people who understand and who don't judge other sufferers.

The second is that if you are nervous you will find a local AA contact on the net (very easily via google), who you can chat to on the phone and who in all likelihood will be willing to meet with you away from a meeting and if you take the step - accompany you to your first.

It is worth the effort!

Originally Posted by johnatahn1 View Post
congrats I wish I had your courage to do one
Old 09-07-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

On the television series "Cheers", the bar was a place "Where everybody knows your name". To me, an AA meeting is a place where everybody knows and accepts your disease. I've rarely walked into a meeting without feeling welcomed and accepted. I hope you find the same.