Notices

Rational recovery book

Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rational recovery book

I'm half way through this book and its fantastic. It's no BS straight talk is exactly what I need and I'm actually laughing while reading it as its really resonating. Here's one part that made me laugh:

Addicted people are strongly inclined to wonder endlessly, "why, why, why, do I do this, when I know the trouble it causes?" Why is fairly obvious - you love to get zonked.

Lol! Simple and effective. I really like the way it's not all wishy washy higher power stuff, that always made me feel a bit uncomfortable as I'm not religious. Plus I have extreme difficulty saying I'm powerless.

He also gives an amazing description of what it's like to get drunk. I never thought about it much but always thought that my way of getting drunk was different to everyone else's, but he describes it to a tee!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This book was the turning point on my way to sobriety. Not that it isn't still often a struggle. But yes this book spoke to me in so many ways.

There are plenty others but the one that hit me as hard as RR did is Jason Vale's Kick the Drink Easily (cheesy as that title is!).

Congrats on finding RR.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm loving the Rational Recovery book too. I'm realllly feelin AVRT. So glad I found it and did the crash test on Day 1.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to getting my copy in the post next week. I have read as much as I can on the website but thought that the book would be a good investment (considering how much I have "invested" in the past in red wine).
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

How about it?! I was blown away by the straight forward in, your face approach.

Looking back I see how even though I explicitly rejected the disease model of addiction, I implicitly excepted the fundamentals on which it is based and how this acceptance worked against any motivation to 'really' try and quit. I allowed myself to use the idea that, at some level for whatever reason it wasn't 'really' my fault, something was driving it (the continued addiction). It blocked me from seeing that to stop what I had to do was stop. Just stop, it seems crazy to think that it is that 'simple' but in essence, it is.
Committing to staying stopped is obviously the key, but realising that the entire process is self achieved and self directed is liberating, to say the least.
Onward!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

it's all simple, it's just not easy for us to accomplish.....
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
it's all simple, it's just not easy for us to accomplish.....
One of the impediments to ending an addiction , is the belief that it is not self directed or self achieved.
Once this is realized( that ending an addiction is self directed) it becomes easier, not necessarily 'easy'. I know how hard it can be, I like you are here on this site, this isn't my first time quitting. What I am saying is this is the first time I 'get' it. I drank because I wanted to, it was pleasurable , too pleasurable, I was willing to give up everything else for that pleasure. Thinking it was driving me(like an incurable disease) and not the other way around was the thinking that kept me from seeing that I could quit for good.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Awesome, Baleine. Congratulations to you. It is all up to you how this proceeds for you now. You have what you need to know.

Consider popping by the Secular Connections forum where you can find directed discussion about AVRT and other self-managed sobriety tools. And much support for you, too!

Onward!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm reading a great book now. It's called Goodbye Mr. Wonderful: Alcoholism, Addiction and Early Recovery. The author's name is Chris McCully. It's a great read for those of us in early recovery. Some really funny parts too as some stupid things we've all done when drunk we just have to laugh at (or cry!).
Old 09-07-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am feeling very strong. It really reminds me of Allen Carr and his book that I used when I stopped smoking.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry but with my lack of self discipline over the long haul I can't see how I can stay sober over the long run by reading a book. I have a great built in forgetter regarding the pain involved with my drinking. Left to my own devices I'll drink as I've proven trying to get sober. BE WELL
Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets all play nice - books have helped keep me sober, IOAA - including the Big Book.

You all know the rules:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)

D
Old 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

thanks for some ideas on books, will take a look.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Removed some posts.
Lets get back on track as per my last post, thanks

D
Old 09-07-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Baliene I love the book and I hate to read normally. LOL Have a gr8 weekend!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I am loving the RR reading I have been doing.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quat

bump
bc this is a post I could have should have written, it is a fantastic read
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No half measures

I am hard core AAer but I also believe that AVRT is very useful especially in early recovery. I managed to stay sober for 6 month using AVRT alone but the addictive voice was too strong and I went back. I found that my alcoholism was just a symptom of other problems and quitting drinking was only the beginning.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just ordered this, just now.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I will also post in support of books, which helped me get sober and recover. I relied on books for three years of recovery before I found SR, which has become my lifeline.

There is a list of amazing books on addiction and recovery in a Sticky at the top of the Newcomers forum.