Language

Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Language

Over the last few months my language has just got shocking. Every 2nd word is an obscene and today I am finally gonna start doing something about it.

I've got a rubber band on my wrist and every time I swear/curse the plan is to change wrists. I have only been out of bed for an hour or so and already had to change it a few times.

My sponsor started doing a similar thing early this year after she noticed how offended her father looked after one of her rants about something on a visit home.

My language is something I have always struggled with and it has got particular bad over the last few months.

If I have learnt anything in al anon it has been to focus on things I can control in my own life rather than focus on others so this is my little project for the next however long it takes which maybe awhile.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for biting off something you can comfortably chew!

I know what you mean about the swearing - I can get pretty sloppy myself. Swearing seems to be more and more acceptable in society these days, which makes it harder to curtail - thank you, Hollywood!

The English language is actually very flexible, since we borrow from so many other languages. I try to consciously practice using a wider vocabulary in general, which gives me so many more ways to express myself.

Plus, then everyone thinks I'm smart.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I worked at an auto shop for 8 years...I have an a$& mouth after that. Working on it...great idea on the rubber band!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

my brother and i started a swear jar....