Notices

First sober night out

Old 09-05-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sober night out

Hi, this is my first post since I realised I had a problem with alcohol. I've started going to AA and have found it very helpful, but I don't want to get to involved with the steps and having a sponsor. Luckily I still have my wife, and she is supporting me through this but, I need advice on how to deal with going out with friends for social gatherings. I am 2 weeks sober and don't want to hide away.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The first day is the hardest

This is something I also need advice with as I start out on this process...hope you don't mind me coming in on your post winga
Old 09-05-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not at all mate.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can only give you my experience on this. I avoided social gatherings in the early weeks as I knew I would not be able to abstain.Examine your motives for going and ask yourself do you really think you'll be able to enjoy the evening not drinking when everyone around you is drinking?

I quit twice last year and relapsed both times at 6 weeks, both at social gatherings, I was adamant I would not drink,went out and wham,it hit me from nowhere ,I couldn't handle it so drank.

This time round I realized it's not just a case of stopping drinking,it's a lifestyle change too,for me at least.

I'm now 9 months, I can go tosocial gatherings where others are drinking. It doesn't bother me or make me want todrink. I do find it pretty uninteresting though and would rather be round sober folks doing sober things

imo, and it is only my opinion of course is that going to drinking events at 2 weeks sober is asking for trouble
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The first day is the hardest

im not even one day sober so I suppose I need to find sober things to be doing for a few months
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

make good decisions or end up drunk

Originally Posted by Winga87 View Post

I am 2 weeks sober and don't want to hide away.
for a serious drunk such as I was
I had (wanted) to stay away from all slippery places in the beginning of my sobriety
for each his or her own
but
most that I have seen that get around the partying too much in the beginning
end up drunk in no time
sure we don't want to miss out on all the fun of activities
but
we can be fooled back into the drink very easily
make good decisions or end up drunk
Mountainman

Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. I can't say what to do as when I started to sober up I had many questions and at the same time the answers, what an ego! Yes here I was trying to tell the old timers how it is etc. Posting from the end of a wire is nothing like talking to a sponsor who gets to know us IF they are used. I was told for more than 9 months to stay out of bars and other slippery places. If it is absolutely necessary to attend something go with someone in the program and leave if uncomfortable, LEAVE. I think too many alcoholics have a feeling "I can handle it" and can't as seen by all the relapses. That's dangerous thinking that we can start over again as that's wishful thinking with NO guarantees of making it again. Gloomy? Yes but true. BE WELL
Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's a family wedding that I have to go to. All other drinking events are avoidable but this one is a bit different.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Winga87 View Post
It's a family wedding that I have to go to. All other drinking events are avoidable but this one is a bit different.
Weddings aren't the drinking event. The receptions are. Go to the wedding, and beg out of the reception. They are an alcohol minefield to be avoided. That would be my advice.