Notices

Cirrhosis ! God no ..not ME :(

Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cirrhosis ! God no ..not ME :(

I have just found out that there are 4 stages of degenerating liver. Mild, modest , significant and cirrhosis. My doctor just told me i have stage 3 ..significant and he needs to investigate more. I am so devestated ;-( .why did i think i was so special. I dont want to die. I was ALWAYS going to stop BEFORE things got this bad . Maybe i deserve this , how selfish as a mother and wife .Wasting my years with my lover ( alcohol' ) instead of loving the things that mattered most. i probably deserve this. What do i do , where do i go , what do i say , who do i see.... head is spinning.Feeling nauseous , feeling scared.....
Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a horrible shock for you Wait and see how things go - might not be as bad as you think - Doctors are famous for scaring us. You really do need to take quitting seriously though (as I'm sure you already are doing)
I don't have any experience of this, so will just send you a HUGE hug and I'm sure someone else will be along soon that knows what they're talking about x x
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try not to panic Snoozy - the liver is pretty resilient...I've read some amazing recovery stories here.

What until your Dr investigates more....I know it's frightening, but you may find this is not as bad as you fear.

I'm not a Dr, but it stands to reason there's probably a wide array of diagnosis and damage in every 'stage'....if things were critical I'm guessing he would have been a little more insistent than he sounds like he was?

Things may have kicked up a notch but you're doing all the right things now - lean on us

D
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there and try not to worry yourself, drink plenty of water and take some walks. Do anything to maintain a positive attitude. Use it as a new beginning and hug your loved ones often. I hope all goes well for you, I'm sending you big hugs.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Zoe and Dee, i lulled myself into a false sense of security when i took the radiographers word that all looked ok on my ultrasound , when clearly it was not. Thats why i have waited nearly 2 months to go back.i thought i was getting good news ! My liver and pancreas are fatty and they cant see scarring (cirhossis)by this method only through a liver biopsy . Doc said he is not prepared to take the risk at this pointbas its too dangerous due to bleeding out. ...i was frozen .......wanting to put my hands over my ears and go na na na na na :/
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, you're doing all the right things now and as Dee said, the liver is pretty resilient.
We're all behind you (so would prefer it if you didn't break wind at this point) x
Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I mean this in a positive way, so don't misunderstand me. No one wants to die, but we all will. Accept that part. That said, try not to freak out. You don't know that it's bad, and you're letting your fears run away with you. Wait for more info from the doctors.

Next, if you find yourself in a hole, the STOP DIGGING! Stay committed to being sober. At a minimum don't make your situation worse. As several other folks have said the body has a remarkable ability to heal itself...once you stop poisoning it. Don't drink any more alcohol, work on adopting a healthy diet and take good care of yourself. Research has pointed to Milk Thistle as being good for your liver. Again, check with the doc.

It's possible that your liver has been badly damaged but usually our fears outstrip reality. What's done is done; you can't turn back the clock and undo years of drinking. But you can look forward, commit to sobriety and make the rest of your life better.

Best wishes to you! I hope the news is good.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey snoozy, I'm so sorry this has happened, please try not to think of the worst case scenario (the dr still has to investigate further). I'm sending you big hugs and hoping any further news is good.....((((hugs))))
Old 09-05-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try and not worry too much until you have all the information. Keep focused on your sobriety and on having the most healthy lifestyle you can. That will stand you in good stead. Wishing you the very best.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Snoozy I know that there are no words to say that will ease you mind right now, but you WILL get through this. Try to stay calm and get your game face on. Today is your time to fight Iike hell for you! I would google recovery from stage 3 liver disease. DO NOT read the negative posts. There are many cases where full recovery is the prognosis! The liver does regenerate. Eat a very very low fat diet with tons of fluids. Fats are hard on the pancreas and liver.

We are here for you snoozy and I'm truly so sorry for your deviststing news. Get yourself an appointment with the best gastroenterologist in your area usually they are in the nearest metropolitan areas. Take a deep breath and BELIEVE everything is going to be alright!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good grief ! I just googled it and wished i hadn't :-( .... Not going to look any more . Im going to bed so i don't have to think . WHY do things ALWAYS seem so much worse at night time :-(
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would not Google anything!. Always comes up with worst case scenario. Just keep doing all the good things that you are and stay focused on your sobriety. Stress will make everything feel so much worse. Hope you get some sleep.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just want to echo that last post- don't get discouraged! It's probably not as bad as you're worried that it is. And even the worst news isn't the end of the world. With time and clean living you can reverse a helluva lot of damage.

Use it as a wake up call but don't get too down!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know people mean well but I think Googling things when you're already worried is rarely a good thing to do....

I terrified myself when I had an 'uncertain' xray a few years back. Putting my symptoms into Google convinced me I had weeks to live.

It may sound funny now but it wasn't.

Trust your Dr, Snoozy - they know your case and your individual circumstances - all 'Dr Google' can do is give out generic information which may or may not apply.

D
Old 09-05-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Good grief ! I just googled it and wished i hadn't :-( .... Not going to look any more . Im going to bed so i don't have to think . WHY do things ALWAYS seem so much worse at night time :-(
Stop googling it's SO easy to wind ourselves up reading medical stuff online and not so easy to reassure ourselves. Human nature is a pain sometimes
A million people can tell us we're good at something, but guaranteed, we'll believe the one miserable one that tells us we're not
Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Im really sorry to hear that Snoozy, but as Dee says, the liver is a very resilient organ and its not too late to run it around!

All the best, I hope the news is good.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support but i am just so despondent right now
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm soooooo sorry I suggested that truly I feel awful just wanted you to read stories of hope and recovery! My sincere apologies!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA member

Sending you hugs snoozy.

Dr Google is a bad move,I know I have been guilty of consulting him over the years,never liked what he had to say.I don't do it these days,I stick to face to face consultations with Drs.

Hope you feel more positive later.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have had several diagnoses of different, life-threatening gastric problems; numerous types of cancer; and life limiting heart and lung conditions - all diagnosed, inaccurately, by 'Dr Google'. When I have then seen my GP or Consultant, I have found Dr Google to be woefully misinformed about my condition. He/she should be 'struck off' in my opinion.

On a more serious note, the liver is an incredible organ which is capable of healing and regenerating itself. You need to wait and see what your medics have to say and what advice and treatment they recommend for you, and stop Googling in between! Their priority is helping you, and they will.