Notices

2 months (finally!)

Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

2 months (finally!)

Well, it's taken me 9 months but I've finally got 2 months of continuous sobriety! It really is unbelievable that I've gone 2 months without a drink. I don't think I've done that since I started drinking regularly, let alone alcoholically. 13 or 14 years of alcohol being my master -- even when I wasn't drinking, I knew the next drink wasn't far away.

And now -- 60 days without a drink. I believe this is literally a miracle sent from the God I believe in, because I'm a hopeless, raging alcoholic, drunk, lush whatever you want to call it. It was impossible for me to stop drinking. My own mother said to me that I wouldn't be able to stop drinking. And yet here I am, sober -- the impossible became possible.

So I really just wanted to give hope to all the other newcomers here. I decided to quit on New Year's Day this year, but ended up drinking. I decided to quit the next day, but drank. I decided to quit the day after, but drank. I managed to get 21 days together, then drank. I started regularly attending AA meetings and started the steps, got 44 days and drank. I came back, restarted the steps, got 55 days and drank -- that started a 6 week binge where I would get a few days there, a week here, but then always go back to drinking.

And now - 2 months sober and feeling much more solid in my sobriety than I did the other times. What worked for me this time was truly committing myself to my program of recovery and deciding that I truly wanted to get sober more than I wanted to get drunk. I've woken up each morning and made the decision not to pick up that first drink and not to change my mind. Whenever that voice in my head starts, the one that I've used as an excuse to drink time and time again this year, I remember that it's my AV because I've already decided that I'm not going to drink again.

Once you decide you're not going to drink today, there are no more decisions to make.

The one thing I've kept doing throughout this on-and-off year was keep coming back. Sometimes it was all I could do. I kept coming back to SR, kept coming back to AA. No matter how many day 1s you've had and are having, keep coming back to SR and to any other recovery methods you're using.

Thank you, SR, for not giving up on me when I was close to defeat. Thank you all for your insightful posts and threads and just being here whether you post or not. Thank you for your friendship, your warmth and compassion, your presence. Thank you for keeping me sober for 60 "todays" in a row. I honestly can't believe it.

I'm so looking forward to the rest of my sober life, one day at a time. Even though life still has its ups and downs, this is so much better than I could have ever imagined in a billion years.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Louise

D
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!

You sound great! Glad you've found what works for you.

I agree, once you decide you're not going to drink anymore... that's it! No more arguments with yourself about it
Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations. You give me hope.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lovely post Louise and many congratulations on 2 months
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two months Louise
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amazing job Louise!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats, Louise, that is an awesome post! I am so glad AA is working for you and that you never gave up hope. You are such a positive force here in this community and I always take heart from your posts and what you share with others. You're an inspiration and we're lucky to have you with us on this ride

Congrats again and huge hug to you today!!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Louise, please keep at it and remember your addicted voice has no ability to pick-up that first drink.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

" do not drink", is literally always written first on my daily to-do list. Keep goin'..!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news Louise! We always knew you could.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

What an inspiration ! Thank you for sharing your journey with me. I appreciate you !

Be well.

Xo Ao
Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Louise, congratulations and thank you so much for sharing your joyful post with us! You made my night!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Louise your doing fantastic! Your story teaches us that it doesn't matter how many times you fall as long as you get back up! Well done and keep it up x
Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You go girl