Notices

Newcomer in need!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer in need!

Dear all,

Have just taken the leap into finally talking about my alcohol problem & drug abuse (over the counter ibuprofen, codeine..)

I had a massive gastric bleed 3 weeks ago today, I moved back home after splitting with my boyfriend of 7 years - I became massively erratic. He has however still been a wonderful support, as have my parents, but I have finally after being seemingly nowhere but the local Docs for the past few weeks started to combat my reliance on alcohol & painkillers as a crutch.

I was also prescribed several different forms of anti-depressants, Trazadone, Sertraline, Fluoextine (hope the spellings are correct!) - all of which I had to stop in a day over the 2 weeks leading up to my bleed as I thought the pain was anxiety related...which was a bit of a shock to the system too. Let alone erratic hormones, which of course as any woman knows who suffers with these moments are frustrating and very frightening.

Throughout it all though I am an enormous chatterbox, and I'm finally seeing that the power of getting all this rubbish off my chest is incredible therapy. So I'd love to talk to anyone that may have had similar experiences, any advice, or just want to generally have a moan about these horrible experiences & how it can damage the smallest and largest aspects of your life.

With many thanks,

Sophie (24 years old)
Old 09-04-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sophie, welcome to SR

Things may seem a little quiet at the moment as many of the members who live in other parts of the world are asleep or at work, but things will get very busy later.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences and about your split from your boyfriend, emotional issues hit hard whether you're addicted to something or not. Keep reading and posting and you'll soon have lots of information to help you get through your worst fears. x
Old 09-04-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by s12589s View Post

all of which I had to stop in a day over the 2 weeks leading up to my bleed as I thought the pain was anxiety related

Sophie (24 years old)
the doctors used to give me a lot of those same pills Sophie
then I would mix them with my drug of choice (usually booze)
hang tight doing just what you are doing
your body should heal up with some time (I have seen this often)
and
a sober life will be rewarding to you

Mountainman
Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sophie

It must have been frightening to have that bleed, and I can only imagine how hard it has been for you to deal with the effects of suddenly stopping the anti-d's.

I'm so very glad you're here, big chatterbox here too!!!
I hope that you have talked to a doctor re how you're feeling?
It can cause a great deal of anxiety when we go off anti depressants, as well as other meds.

So glad your ex-boyfriend and parents are there to support you.
You will find loads of love and support here as well...

Wishing you only good things.

Love Venus xx
Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Misspond, Mountainman & Venus -

Just THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for your quick and beautiful replies. I hope I'm doing this forum business correctly (never chatted on one before!) let alone about something so deep and dark....! So do let me know if I'm getting anything a bit muddled!
But I can genuinely say I feel less isolated, even this soon thanks to your words & realise I'm not the only person in the world who has felt this way. Which in my darkest moments, convinced myself I was.

You're all wonderful, thank you again and I can't wait to chat some more
Sophie xxx
Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And thank you for the welcome earthsteps
Sophie
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Sophie, lots of support here.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Sophie! Hope you can give yourself the time it needs to recover. I know it's worth it:-) n u r too!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by s12589s View Post
I can genuinely say I feel less isolated, even this soon thanks to your words & realise I'm not the only person in the world who has felt this way.
This right here in a nutshell is why I love this place so much. . . . Spend some time reading and definitely chat away

Every day new people show up. It is kind of overwhelming how many of us are waking up to this nightmare. And it is comforting as well.

Welcome!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sopie,

Welcome to the forum. I wish you a speedy recovery from the stomach issue. It's great that you have the support of friends and family. We are all here to support you as you walk down the path of breaking your addictions. I can completely understand being a chatterbox. I am the same way and it does feel good to get it off your chest. Sometimes it can be hard to let an issue just die. That is something I need to work on myself. Acknowledging something is a problem, taking care of it, and then moving on.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Sophie, welcome to the right place you should be, we have a thread for people who just started their recovery and in which I would love to invite you. If you are in the mood have a look here....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2013-a-19.html
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you hayley86 & miko67 - definitely taking each day..well hour at a time. Each one feels like a small victory.. sounds a bit dramatic but I know it'll be very worth it, all in good time. Gentle steps. I'm sat here for the first time in probably YEARS with happy tears in my eyes!
Your support means so much! <3
Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you fifth! Will take a look now
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AlefVavResh - Yoctopus - my laptop isn't fast enough to catch up with all your beautiful messages!! Thank you again. Can't believe all the love, support & positive energy!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're welcome Sophie. Don't feel like you have to acknowledge us in text every time we post to you. I agree with @fifth that you might consider joining our September 2013 group. You will see a lot of us are just beginning this journey and can support each other. There are also some longer running members that pop in an provide guidance and support as well. We are all fighting the battle of our lives. At least that is what I have come to believe. It isn't time to pull any punches or leave any resources on the table.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yoctopus View Post
Don't feel like you have to acknowledge us in text every time we post to you.
I agree. You'll find we're all a lot of chatterboxes, so you could spend a whole day acknowledging people.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sophie good for you. I'm an enormous chatterbox too and I truly believe that talking and communicating is the key to our healing. When we connect with others we can connect with ourselves. You are a champ. So young. Bless you sweet baby child!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi, Sophie! I'm glad you're here. This is an amazing place for support and for just getting things out in the open with folks who understand and have been there. I'm happy to hear it's been three weeks since the bleeding episode. What I mean is, that you should be well on the way to being physically healed from that. I'm sure you know ibuprofen and alcohol are hard on the stomach, and even more so in combination with each other.

I agree with venuscat about staying in contact with your doctor. Don't know how long you were on the sertraline or fluoxetine, but stopping them suddenly can cause a lot of unpleasant, though temporary, reactions.

I also agree with fifth and Yoctopus that you might want to join the September group with us. You won't feel alone, I can guarantee you!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello @misspond! Thank you for being my friend, do hope you get this message - tried to msg you directly but I haven't posted 25 times.. or some such! Told you I'm a complete forum newbie
Sophie x