Notices

Nicotine patch nightmares

Old 09-03-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nicotine patch nightmares

Hi, I'm new here, and used the patch the other night, well, what a trip I was on. My dream:
We had company and one of the people was a preacher, my husband invited him to stay overnite, and he was in our bed with us! He kept rising up every now and then to do his sermon, I was getting really irritated. When I woke, I actually looked over to see if he was there, then I had to go to bathroom, felt dizzy, started sweating heavily, and had dry heaves! Crawled back into bed pulled off the patch, turned on the A/C and later went back to sleep. WOW
Old 09-03-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no experience with the patch. I'd talk to your doctor about it if it happens again.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a fan of the patch (used it off and on for like 3 years now..lol). But I don't SLEEP with it on. I pull it off and bedtime. I didn't get up and smoke in the middle of night or well, when sleeping..so no need for the overnight nicotine ; )
Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup... I've had crazy dreams on the patch! If I take it off by 8 pm I have no issues.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just signed up since I am recovering from drugs and alcohol. I recently tried to commit suicide and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder manic. I was a smoker. It I started using the patch/gum while I was hospitalized and just kept using them. Yes I'm cigarette free but I have the worst nightmares. I just woke up from one and came across this site. I dreamt I killed someone. It was so graphic it honestly still has me shaken up. I'm not sure if it's my medicine or the patches.
Karina.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it says on the box that if you experience bad dreams to remove at night. I used them to quit and I took mine off by 9 or so at night and had no problems with bad dreams.

Also make sure you are using the correct dosage of patch. They usually are 7 mg, 14 mg and 21 mg. The box will tell you which one works best for you based on the amount of cigs you smoked daily.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Kari
Old 10-04-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I tried the nic patch too. The instructions suggested I try wearing it at night, as I often had a cigarette within a half hour of waking up. Well I didn't do that for long. Like you, the nightmares were horrible. I often dreamt I was running, being chased, or some other situation that involved panic and dread. I woke up exhausted.

0/10 do not recommend.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Never tried the patch. I did try chantix(sp?) and it gave me crazy/vivid dreams!
Old 10-04-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used the patch for a few weeks without these problems, but none of this is surprising. The nicotine patch is just an alternative delivery system for the drug.

Can anyone imagine an alcohol patch or drip that slowly feeds alcohol to you all day and all night long being touted as a way to quit drinking spirits? Yes, that's it! Kick the habit by "drinking" while you sleep!

Obscene. Yet no one appears to notice that NRT is not a way to quit a nicotine addiction. It is only a way to procrastinate the decision to quit.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

I was addicted to cigarette smoking ie: I kept doing it even when I knew it was against my best interests. I tried 'vaping' , using the unfortunately named 'electronic cigarettes' , as an alternative nicotine delivery system and am enjoying the harm reduction afforded by simply no longer inhaling combustible tobacco smoke.
I love the 'gadgetry' and the all the varieties of flavors the of the eliquids. The hand to mouth and inhaling and exhaling satisfy all the 'right' buttons and nicotine use/levels are freely manipulated and individually' customize-able'( alot of vapers use 0mg of nicotine) , as with almost all new technologies the 'new' and 'different' aspects can create skepticism but more and more good science is showing that this technology can 'deliver'. Vape On
Old 10-04-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kari!!