Notices

Reality check/help?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reality check/help?

Hello everyone.

As a nightly bottle + a day wine drinker, I finally experienced my first horrific withdrawal after drinking 1 3/4 bottle of wine one night in August. Previously my body had always been fine with any amount of alcohol, simply dealing me with a slight hangover. This was different, though and I had my first panic attacks/tremor/elevated heart rate.

I tapered down until I seemed OK again, then stupidly tested myself by drinking one bottle of wine. Sure enough, the next day I experienced withdrawal symptoms even sooner - around 1 pm. This was even scarier.

So, that was one week ago and I tapered down with beer, having my last 5 days after the binge. It has almost been 72 hours since I had anything to drink. I am just concerned that since this all began three weeks ago, my heart rate has not really gone back to normal - it's slightly elevated almost always - getting a little worse at night, I think. For the last three days I have felt the heart rate up a bit, sensitivity to loud sounds, and a kind of involuntary brain twitch as a reaction to any sudden stimuli, it's also hard to focus like normal. Last night, I had some frightening kinds of nightmares where I felt scary physical sensations, perhaps like it was hard to breathe, or something was pressing down on me, or some demon was trying to kill me????

However, I have gotten though the nights OK, considering...been able to sleep a few hours.

Does this all sound normal? At what point do I really need to go to the doctor if my heart rate does not return to completely normal?

Thank you so much for any advice - I am new at this and it is quite scary.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Megan

It may be nothing, it may be anxiety, but I think any time your heart rate is not 'normal' it's a good time to see the Doc

welcome to SR and congratulations on your decision to be sober

D
Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Megan!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I too recommend seeing your doctor. Explain your quitting drinking and the fast rate the day after drinking. Be safe, see your doctor.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I agree that it is better to be safe. See you doctor and be honest about how much, how long. Keep us posted
Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, Megan! Welcome and congrats on deciding to quit!

I agree with the wise folks above (i.e., if it's in your budget, it's never a bad idea to see a doc for unusual symptoms), but I did want to add a "don't panic" button. You sound understandably anxious, and anxiety will cause the heart to race. Heck, my pulse varies by about 30% depending on whether I'm picturing cerulean seascapes or my waiting piles of laundry. And, from what I gather, heightened anxiety (and the potential for racing hearts) is pretty standard in the first couple weeks. Drinking has hijacked the normal function of your reward and pleasure centers, and those centers take a while to find their cool.

All of which is not to dissuade you from seeing a doc - it's never a bad idea to consult the professionals about the one and only body you get in this life - I just wanted to throw in an extra "don't panic!" note.

*Also I found that caffeine hit me differently the first month after I quit. Because it is muddy and delicious and not verboten, I drink a lot of coffee, but that first month my usual levels of coffee rocketed me into a whole new stratosphere of over-stimulated and anxious. If you, like me, love the stuff, maybe think about cutting back or switching to chicory for a while.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Megan! It's great to have you join us.

I had similar feelings for about a week after quitting - but as the others have said, ideally the doctor should check you out. My blood pressure spiked terribly for a few days & I regret not being more careful.

I agree with Allie about the caffeine. I was obsessed with coffee (with those flavored creamers ) - kind of used it as a pacifier I think. It made my jangled nerves even worse in the beginning.

Glad you've been able to sleep. You should begin to feel a lot better very soon - I think you're doing great.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by MeganCerulean View Post
I am just concerned that since this all began three weeks ago...
All this began the moment you started drinking heavily, and it will only get worse from here on in.

There is no reliable home remedy for withdrawals, which is why I'm endorsing other people's suggestion to see a doctor. We have no way of knowing in advance which withdrawal symptoms we'll experience, or the intensity of the ones we do suffer.

See a doctor.