Notices

Feel like getting drunk

Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel like getting drunk

I'm not going to - but I'd like to - I feel like having that outlet today.

I just feel really bored - same thing different day. I know that's just life though and it's the addict in me putting wee ideas in my head 'your bored, you've been home all day kids, cleaning etc you deserve to have a drink, it will make you feel better' pfffft I know better - I'm just getting it off my chest that I FEEL like doing it even though there's no way I am going to.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi 13unluckyforsom, Boredom is a killer. Though, a hangover and feeling simply disgusted with yourself because you decided to have just "one" is worse than boredom. Hang in there! This shall pass.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, do you deserve to drink, regret it afterward, feel guilt and remorse, and wish it never happened? I don't think so. It'll only lead to another dead-end cycle.

Try searching for another hobby, something mindless you can indulge in. It'll distract you when you do find yourself bored and wanting to just drink for entertainment.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know - I'm not going to give in - that would be way too easy and I'm a bit stubborn lol wouldn't give anyone the joy of saying 'I knew you couldn't last' lol
Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey 13... you dig deep, heels firmly in the ground, and keep that stance, what nice things can you do for yourself tonight to reward your non drinking today x
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That always annoyed me in the beginning....why does that crazy voice tell us that having a drink would cure boredom?

I know 'play the tape forward', feels not helpful sometimes, but if you really put yourself there....taking that first drink....then what? All I see is boredom as I keep drinking myself into oblivion.

The other day...I actually relalised the only attraction was really the buzz of the actual anticipation of a drink after work, or an event or whenever. The actual drinking, if I try to imagine it, I think would be quite a let down.

Thinking of you and hope you'll be ok. Be strong...this thing ain't beating us!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Emily, are you ok mate? I thought my inbox was a bit quiet
Had a wobbly moment myself earlier, but we can do this!
Did you manage to get any sleep?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Do you exercise or have a hobby? Sounds like you need an outlet other than drinking.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt like getting wasted all weekend long. The beast was out in full force as I had 5 days off from work, but I managed to stay sober. I can't just sit and let the beast take control of my mind as it is a battle that takes every sense of my being to beat. I have to stay busy in order for me to stay sober. I am glad you have decided that drinking is not something you want to do. One day at a time.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
...same thing different day.
So is daily drinking.

Are you bored? Or discontented with sobriety? Boredom can be fixed with an arts and craft hobby.

Discontent is fixed with recovery. Do you have a program of support to keep you sober?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm fine honestly lol I just thought I'd be honest And admit I felt like getting smashed. But I won't. Cos one - I'm not dressed - two - my other half has all the money and three it's not worth it and I'd end up wrecked talking crap probably feel like an idiot tomorrow and I've had enough of that this year lol

Also it's only the addiction talking the relief I'd get would be short lived.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ooops I'm in the same position and just had 4 glasses of wine. The rest is going down the sink. I'm giving you hugs, we're human, prayers to you. (And me!)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

So is daily drinking.

Are you bored? Or discontented with sobriety? Boredom can be fixed with an arts and craft hobby.

Discontent is fixed with recovery. Do you have a program of support to keep you sober?

Lol thanks - that 'so is daily drinking' made me laugh coz its bloody true haha. I think I'm just bored and a bit stressed with the kids as opposed to discontent - I feel physically and emotionally better sober. So it's actual just boredom and me having a moan lol
Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hear what you're saying 13unluckyforsom, my kids still aren't back at school, I've some work to get on with but can't get motivated so maybe that's what I should aim to do tonight when they go to their dad's to sleep. Hope you ride the craving x
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am glad you got on here and posted. Sometimes it really helps to not drink by venting on here and talking it through
Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If possible get out of the house into the fresh air and go for a nice long walk, maybe take the kids to the park etc. I know exactly how you feel but ignore the demons dig deep and the urge will pass. Boredom can be avoided with a little effort.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't feel like drinking. I don't feel like working either. Feel too good today for either.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

All good now I'm kinda like this - if I know I have to do something that I can't be bothered doing - I phone or txt a friend and tell them that I'm going to do the said thing. And that's usually what gets me to do it. Incase the person asks later 'so did you do.....?' Lol

So me saying here I felt like drinking is my way of helping myself not to drink - because I've made a point of saying I'm not going to so I now won't.

It probably sounds a but nuts the way my mind works but its how I get by sometimes. So anyway I hung some washing out swept floors kids homework etc and now having a cuppa coffee in the sun all good!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm still waiting to hear someone say " god, I'm SO glad I got wasted last night"!!! I know I never said it........
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

13unluckyforsom - I struggled ot get to sleep last night but had one of the soundest sleeps when I did - even slept through my alarm this morning. Nadal won btw.

Let the moment pass. Do you have a sponsor? I came clean to some of my colleagues at my firm today.

My wife is going to try and quit, although she is still in denial. That said, I am going to try and support her. I got upset with her, as she trivialized my decision to get sober. She made it sound like its no big deal, even though I believe she will struggle more than me with sobriety.