Notices

One week sober and then back to Day 1

Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week sober and then back to Day 1

Very disappointed at myself, was going to have one glass of wine. Of course it didnīt work. So back to Day 1 again, in desperate need of support and very ashamed of myself.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Victoria

Most of us seem to need to learn that lesson a few times over.
you're in good company.

Whats your plan from here ?

D
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sorry to hear that.can you identify what made you pick up so as to avoid it next time. maybe come to SR next time you get cravings
Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really thought I could handle it, well obviously I canīt. As for a plan, I will continue keeping busy and excersising. The problem is when I see my boyfriend, he drinks like normal people do, I just need to say no. I donīt think he would mind, probably he would think it is a good idea..
Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can do this a day at a time. Just stop drinking for today. Then tomorrow you can do it all over again. It is possible!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Victoria, nothing takes away those sober days...nothing. dust yourself off and start again...learn from your slip and let it fuel you on, not to let those negative feelings drag you down, you can do this xx
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Victoria. Sorry you are feeling down on yourself.

You mentioned having one glass was your intention...were you hoping to moderate as a future solution? Or did you crave and convince yourself just one would be ok?

At least you know you can do sober. That is at least a positive for you to build on.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Croissant, I think I actually was going to drink more but fooled myself by saying one is ok, I knew deep down I canīt handle it. Somehow allowed myself to slip. Not really sure why, as I was feeling so great, was starting to sleep ok, excersising and enjoying my days so much.
A bit scared now, how will I avoid this in the future?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Victoria, I am so sick of myself can hardly bring myself to post, but I am going to try again. Let's try to be be pals?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, this time we will make it Pamel!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
Croissant, I think I actually was going to drink more but fooled myself by saying one is ok, I knew deep down I canīt handle it. Somehow allowed myself to slip. Not really sure why, as I was feeling so great, was starting to sleep ok, excersising and enjoying my days so much.
A bit scared now, how will I avoid this in the future?
Oh, ok, thanks for sharing, Victoria. I just wondered because I have this fear in the back of my mind I will start drinking....that my mind will somehow trick me that it's ok. I know we are all different, but I know I need to be realistic about how to avoid drinking....if that makes sense?

On the flip side, even though you feel bad about taking a drink, I feel bad that I haven't relapsed and wonder if its going to sneak up on me. Sorry, that's a long explanation about why I asked.

Please don't feel like you've failed, maybe write down a letter to yourself describing how you feel now and save it for weeks to come when you feel tempted?

Hugs and wishing you that sober feel-good feeling soon. Damn annoying that money can't buy it....we actually have to do the time! xx
Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep at it Victoria74, find a method that works for you, grab your support here and all the best to you.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
The problem is when I see my boyfriend, he drinks like normal people do, I just need to say no. I donīt think he would mind, probably he would think it is a good idea..
Drinking does not make things "better." Thus, if you're even remotely serious about sobriety, then your boyfriend needs to say no too. Especially when, not if, the two of you are together.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 09-03-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Victoria,

I have found myself in this position all too often. Thinking that it is a weekday and so of course I can manage just a beer or two as an after hours treat. Everyone else does, right? It just doesn't work for me either. I'm not sure I have come to accept that fact, it is sad to think that I can't just causally drink like others. But then, I don't see most others acting the way I do after a night out of "causal drinking." I'm sending strength your way.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support!
I called a local hotline and got some tools and support, and also the number to a clinic that spezializes in alcohol addiction. If I fall off the wagon once more I will make an appointment.
I will spend lots of time here and write lots of threads...it helps, many thanks again for all the kind comments.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

same exact thing happened to me last week.....I had 14 days sober, was sleeping through the night, no anxiety, feeling great and I decide I can have a glass of wine......that pretty much led to a labor day weekend bender. I felt horrible yesterday.....still have anxiety through the roof and nausea today.....and I just want my sober life back. Why is it so hard to accept that I am not giving up a thing by not drinking? I am only gaining....happiness.......
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up. You just learned one of the most valuable lessons. There is no such thing as just one glass. Give yourself credit for "getting it". Takes most of us a long time to accept that.