Filing child support through county vs getting a lawyer?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Filing child support through county vs getting a lawyer?

I am in a situation where I need to file for child support. My ABF of 12 years and I are not married but have two children together. We are still under the same roof because he says he can't move out yet due to financial reasons. He is suppose give me a plan by mid September. Anyways, he's been seeing someone else already and introducing her to my kids. He is all about his own "self will" and honestly it's unbearable. The house we live in is in his name. He has offered to let us stay in it and he would move out. Well I'm afraid that may not happen and want to be prepared to file for child support. He was going to pay for child support in lieu of child support (mortgage is quite large and more than I would get in child support). At this point I don't really care about staying in the house. I just want out. It may mean changing schools for kids since where we live is too expensive for me to even consider renting. I do work part time ( grateful) and I am looking for a full time job. California is not a "common law marriage state" so I don't qualify for alimony.

I'm just not sure if getting a lawyer ($3000 retainer) will entitle me to more monthly child support than filing through the county (free)?

A lawyer would do discovery and ensure that we get the same standard of living and I'm not sure what the county will get us. I just want the best possible scenario for me and the kids.

Any strength, experience and hope would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shiningthrough,
There will likely be others that will have greater wisdom on this subject but I wanted to offer some information.
In my state, and many others I am sure, there is a legal assistance organization intended to help people who can not afford a lawyer. The website of this organization was a great source of information and even had fillable/downloadable forms that one could file themselves. There were specific forms for childsupport when the parents were not married.
Try and find a similar organization in your state and check out their website. You may find you could file something yourself. Child support is typically based on a formula using information provided by both parents. It can be straightforward.
Good luck. Sending support.
Hugs,
MamaKit