Notices

Whiterhino24's way to recovery

Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whiterhino24's way to recovery

I just found this site today and by looking through it I found a lot of helpful things so I thought it would be best to start posting here. I have been trying to sober up from alcohol for a year now and I havn't been able to do it with, out patient programs, counseling or must important family. I have lost two jobs because of it and most recently the one I loved three weeks ago. When I told my boss I was going to treatment and needed time off he fired me. Now of course that has taken a toll on my wife of six years and my three year old daughter. luckily my wife has a good job and can afford our bills, barely. I would like to learn from what people have to say here and contribute myself.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Whiterhino. I'm sorry to hear that you got let go from your job. This site is a great place to be--so many wonderful people.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks i am sure i can find a lot of info here on recovery.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Whiterhino - I think it will help you to be here with us. It's a great place for friendship and understanding.

I get very confused about an employee's rights when they are seeking help for alcoholism. I thought that your employer was required to give you up to 12 weeks leave under the FMLA - Family & Medical Leave Act. This can be for any health related matter. The Americans with Disabilities Act is supposed to give you some protection too. Not to give you false hope, but I don't understand how you can be fired as long as you are seeking help for a medical condition. Maybe your boss doesn't expect people to know the law.

We're very glad to have you join us. I hope it gives you some hope and encouragement.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Whiterhino24! Welcome to SR, a wonderful, safe place to find refuge in. These people are smarter than most of the "counselors" and "therapists" that I've come across. So sorry about your job. Some people have virtually no compassion for their fellow man, and in the long run, they are the ones who will suffer for it.

Hevyn is right about FMLA, you are entitled to protection. Is there an HR Dept. at your former employer? Did they (hopefully) give you something in writing that stated the reasons for your dismissal? All good points to explore. Is your wife on board with your desire to stop drinking? Looking forward to talking with you.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hevyn: I just took a quick peek around, and I'm perplexed as well (though an employer's disregard of his obligations is always a viable possibility). But Chapter 4 was illuminative w/r/t ways around the protection. Of course, that's the ADA half only, not the FMLA.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very interesting Allie - thank you.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

You can not be fired for getting treatment, it's covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. They can fire you for other reasons, unrelated to your alcoholism.

What are you going to do to treat your alcoholism now?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for the advise. From what many people said I can sue him. It was a very small company with about 7 employees. There was no contract or employment regulation contract. We were very busy at the time and I checked out for a few days. Then I realized what I was doing a wanted to seek help. Next day I was fired when I told him I was sick, I was an alcoholic and needed treatment.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
You can not be fired for getting treatment, it's covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. They can fire you for other reasons, unrelated to your alcoholism.

What are you going to do to treat your alcoholism now?
I went through detox and still in counseling. Planning to do impatient if I can't stop on my own.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think while posters offering legal solutions to Whiterhino's job loss are well-meaning, it is perhaps best to center on his current situation as opposed to looking into the past. I am sure he can tackle that if/when he chooses.

As for the here & now: WR, did you end up going to in-patient treatment? Do you have plans to attend? It sounds like you have at least considered it, possibly seriously. If you have the means and the time, I would recommend it. I attended in-patient myself and have been sober over a year since I left, if you'd like some information on my personal experience I could share that with you. If not, it sounds like whatever you've been trying in the past hasn't worked too well. Perhaps it's time to come up with a new plan? Do you have any ideas? What have you tried in the past, and what options are you willing to consider this time around?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk with an attorney who understands the ADA and addictions
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes I have researched a ranch here in wa.. I want to kick it on my own and out patient did not help. SoI want to try it my self before going to inpatient.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've mentioned this many times: I couldn't afford in patient treatment, and moved into a sober living home for two months. It saved me, my marriage, and my relationship with my kids. I grew to love sobriety through my time there, since I was able to completely immerse myself into recovery. Best decision of my life.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Whiterhino - you'll find a lot of support here.

I want to kick it on my own and out patient did not help. SoI want to try it my self before going to inpatient.
cool - so what's your plan?

D
Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

FMLA applies only to employers who employ 50 or more employees. The ADA Act includes only those private employers who employ 15 or more employees.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! I agree; it's unfortunate you lost your job but there will be other jobs. The most important thing is getting sober. Otherwise the next job will just be another in a string of jobs.

Good luck to you, Whiterhino24! You do it.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Whiterhino!

There are some great folks at AA and NA meetings in Bellingham who would be happy to share their experiences with staying sober. Maybe give that a try before packing yourself off to a ranch?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When you say "try it myself" does that mean you are open to AA or NA? Another poster mentioned there are several available options there. What are your thoughts on that route?