Notices

I need help.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help.

Hello. My name is Brandon and I have had a drinking problem for nearly 2 and a half years. About every 7-10 days I binge drink on vodka to the point of passing out for hours. Im at the point where I want to stop but I'm afraid of going without it. I would like to have someone to talk to when I get urges and to help me with advice. Currently I am reading Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Drinking and I really like it. My last binge was Wednesday night into Thursday Morning. I am student teaching this semester and really want to take control of my life. Please send me a message with any advice or if you would be interested in mentoring e through this process.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome, congrats on seeking help and doing something about this
We're here for ya
Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Brandon. Welcome to SR. Its great that you want to take control of your life and stop drinking. There is tons of support and advice to be found here. There is a Class of September thread for anybody who wants to stop drinking this month. You might find it useful to join that as everyone in there motivates each other daily. Posting on here when you have urges is a really good way to combat picking up a drink. Reaching out to others and having their support and advice can really make the difference in not picking up a drink. With regards to being afraid of going without alcohol. We have all felt that fear. I think the key is to take it one day at a time. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Brandon

Allen Carr's book is a good place to start. There is a lot of book suggestions in the stickie at the top of this forum too. I hope you find this place useful to help with urges. Do you know what sets you off drinking?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Brandon

There's 100 thousand mentors here
I recommend you post regularly - read around too - find someone eho'd way of doing things you like and give it a go

Joining the Class of September thread, as Hayley suggested, is a great idea too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2013-a-2.html

D
Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Hi Brandon, welcome to SR.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rough Morning

I woke up this morning and have an overwhelming amount of guilt for the things that I did this past week while bingeing. What do you do when you are feeling guilty about your drinking and what can I do to overcome this?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bmi568 View Post
I woke up this morning and have an overwhelming amount of guilt for the things that I did this past week while bingeing. What do you do when you are feeling guilty about your drinking and what can I do to overcome this?

Dealing with guilt when you are getting sober is difficult. You cant change the past all you can do is keep focused on staying sober and getting well. I had a difficult time dealing with guilt over things i did when i was drinking. I had to accept the fact that i was ill and if i had of been sober i would have made different choices. Try and forgive yourself and dont let feelings of guilt hinder your recovery. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Theres nothing you can do about anything you've done in the past. You cant undo it.
Feeling guilty is simply going to stress you out and may even lead back to drinking.

I had a lot to feel badly about too - 20 years worth
I decided to treat my life as a kind of living amends.

If you feel badly do good - make a positive difference today in the world in some small way...keep doing that and I guarantee in a little while whatever you did before will not matter as much

D
Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good info above, I think reading is a good help along with posting and reading these forums. I also feel that personal contact with other alcoholics at AA meetings can't be beat as it's worked for millions for over 75 years. BE WELL