Notices

new - advice needed please

Old 09-01-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new - advice needed please

hi there

I would like to seek some advice. my oh drinks only beer so feels he is not an alcoholic. drinks between 8-12 cans per night. also comes in from work a bit tipsy most nights so not sure how he manages it at work too as he drives as part of his job.
we have a two yeaer old son who I don't feel he has bonded with particularly well and I would desparately love another baby but is this just being ridiculous?

he has cut down quite a bit but no guarantee for how long. his dad was an alcoholic.
we have been together since we were 18 and he has always drank a lot as did I when I was younger but thought he would grow out of it like me.

any advicde would be appreciated.

he came in from work with a drink in him on Wednesday and I never realised until we were In the car with him and he was driving.

I know it can't go on but would love my little boy to have chance of a sibling.
we have to go though ivf too so its not easy.

how do I talk to him about it. I have tried a few times but he says nothing apart from he has no problem.

help!

xxx
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Unless he believes he has a problem, it will only get worse.

Have you considered Al Anon?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No half measures

I am very sorry for your situation. I would suggest that you go to an Alanon meeting. There you will be surrounded with people in similar situations. You will learn about codependency and about how to support without enabling.

Unfortunately alcoholism is progressive so the situation will only get worse until he seeks out the help that he needs but that does not mean that you cannot seek out help that you need.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

You should probably consider posting in the family section also, there are many there that have had similar experience as you.

It is difficult to convince people they have a problem if they do not think they have one.

Drinking 8-12 cans every night does effect most people a lot, not only when we are drunk but also when we are recovering and awaiting next time we can have our 8-12 cans.

Take care Twinkle.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It will get worse unless he stops drinking.

I hope you continue to seek support for yourself.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After I stopped drinking I learned that a beer in the US has about the same amount of alcohol as in jigger of whisky. You do the math, for me it's far too much to be driving safely. BE WELL